chapter 14

Today was the day of the first Quidditch match since we had returned from the Christmas break. The game wasn't until the afternoon so I was spending the morning as I had done for the last week or more, sat in the library scanning through books, newspapers and old records looking for some kind of lead on Desdemona Rosier and so far, I had found a load of nothing. At about ten, Hermione had joined me although she was currently reading through every book on Dark creatures and monsters, trying to unveil something to do with whatever lay in the Chamber of Secrets.

I had given up with the books for today, too much on one subject with absolutely no value to me was getting me nowehere so when I slumped back down at our table, I heaved out a sigh so loud that I saw Madam Pince look to me as if she were going to tell me off for breathing at a ridiculous volume.

"What's up?" Hermione whispered, lifting her head off the corner of her elbow which she was laying on. The whispering was to keep Pince at bay of course, no other student was weird enough to be in the library in the morning on a Saturday. Nobody was like us.

I had been toying with the idea of mentioning something to Hermione. She had read almost everything in this damn library and she had a fantastic memory for referencing so I thought their may be a possibility she would recognise the name but I wasn't so sure it was a good idea. Plus, Oliver had made it pretty clear to me that I should be careful.

Oliver had been great. As expected, and I wouldn't have asked him to anyway, he had only sat with me for meals a couple of times since the first day back. I didn't want him to, I didn't want his Gryffindors to think anything of him like they had with me. He had only sat with my on my bad days which I appreciated more than he realised.

"Nothing." I smiled to Hermione, pushing the busy thoughts out of my head. I knew it was going to be hard to find something informative on my mother, after all we didn't learn about witches and wizards that had gone bad. We couldn't even talk of Voldemort's name and the History of Magic lessons was focused mostly on troll wars - which I may add was so unbelievably boring.

I was weighing up my options for getting somewhere with this. If I was going to ask anyone, it was either going to be Hermione - I could trust her - or Dumbledore. He must have known my mother considering she attended here with my Dad. I just didn't know whether it was wise. Could I trust him to not say anything to my Dad?

"Hey," I whispered to Hermione a short while later. I needed something to go on. Sitting here with diddly-squat information was driving me insane. "Have you ever heard of the name Rosier? Read it anywhere?"

Hermione looked no where in particular as she was seemingly searching her mind's archives. I didn't think asking her about the surname alone would make my heart race but it was beating so hard I thought Madam Pince was going to kick me out of the library.

"It rings a bell," Hermione said quietly, shrugging her shoulders petitely. "I can't quite place it though."

I nodded, going back to my newspaper article and flipping through, scanning each page vigorously for any signs of her or a family member. I pulled the cut-out that Oliver had given me and I looked at it, careful not to show Hermione as she dove back into her book.

"Oh my god!" Hermione almost jumped out of her seat and I stuffed the photo back into my pocket. I had hoped she had remembered something about Rosier but when she picked up her book, silently ripping a page from it, I knew she had made her own revelation. "I've got an idea. I'll see you later."

"Quiet, Miss Granger!" Madam Pince bellowed, shooing Hermione from the library. It was strangely eery when you were the only student in here. I checked the time and saw that the game was due to start soon so I packed up my stuff, putting the old newspapers back in their archives and headed out of the library and towards the Quidditch stadium.

I wanted to see Oliver fly out. His face when he flew from the tunnels was one of determination and true happiness. He was truly at home up there, defending those rings. I walked to the Slytherin stand and began to slowly climb up the steps to the top. It wouldn't be too busy up here considering we wasn't playing. If the team did come up, they might be better at predicting their opponents tactics but Marcus Flint was too self-conceited to consider that.

Early enough to see Madam Hooch checking the playing field, ensuring nothing odd or magical had been done to the stadium or the balls, I found a pew at the front and sat down, looking across the huge stadium. I could see the glowing beacons that were Ron, Fred, George and Ginny Weasley on the other side. I was going to give them a wave but a few casual Slytherins had come up to watch so I decided against it.

After a while, I checked my watch. They were overrunning on time a little. As if on cue, Professor McGonagall appeared at the commentators box, whispering something into Lee Johnson's ear before scurrying off.

"Er, sorry everyone," He boomed out across the stadium. "This match has been cancelled and Professor Dumbledore has asked that everyone return to their common rooms immediately."

What? Cancelled? They can't cancel Quidditch. Completely confused, I quickly made it to my feet and scurried down the steps of the tower. I hurried towards the Quidditch changing rooms where I found Oliver stood with a rather peeved look across his face.

"What's going on?" I asked him as I approached. He looked more concerned than pissed off when I reached him.

"Not sure," He answered, placing a hand on my shoulder to help move me out of the way of someone passing. "McGonagall just came and said it was cancelled then took Harry to find Ron, saying they should go with her."

"That's weird?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"They said you should go back to your common rooms. Something must have happened, it's still early." Oliver began to walk with me, following the crowds of hurrying students down the corridor towards the main part of the corridor.

"Do you think there has been another attack?" I asked, wondering only why McGonagall would ask for Harry and Ron. They can't surely be blaming Harry when he was with Oliver and the team the whole time.

"I hope not but it seems like it." I hadn't noticed that Oliver had walked past the turn off for the Gryffindor common room until we approached the Dungeons.

"You didn't have to walk me back. Now I'm worried you won't get back safe." I tried to lighten the situation and Oliver gave me a smile back.

After a quick hug with all his Quidditch gear on, he quickly made his way down and out of the dungeons and I watched him until he was out of sight before heading into the common rooms. There was such commotion and I was going to head upstairs to the dorm but I wanted to hear the rumours that had already started to spread so I found an empty seat and slyly plonked myself in it.

"I saw them carrying a stretcher," One voice said.

"The body was really still and rigid like the Creevey kid," Another added.

"Who was it?"

"I heard it was a girl."

"That narrows it down, doesn't it?" That was Pansy, I recognised that one.

"That Gryffindor girl, the one that hangs around with Potter."

"How sure are you?" The room went silent as I jumped from my seat, my wand gripped firmly in my right hand. Blaise, the one who had said it, turned quickly to me. Nobody said anything so I raised my wand a little higher. "How sure?!"

"I'm almost sure it was her." Blaise said quietly having barely finished his sentence before I was running from the common room without a care of how I looked as a Slytherin.