chapter 7

Somehow, Professor Lockhart had managed to convince Professor Dumbledore to start up a duelling club due to the current events at Hogwarts, with a student (and a cat) being Petrified by something unbeknownst to anyone after the Chamber of Secrets had rumoured to be opened. The fact that it warned the enemies of the heir to beware, referencing the muggle-borns, it wasn't a half-bad idea that we were learning to defend ourselves but I, and several others, seriously doubted Lockhart's abilities.

I stopped at the edge of the Great Hall, searching for Harry, Hermione and Ron, seeing the latter's glowing ginger hair about half way down. I made my way over to them, to be greeted by Hermione with a hug.

"You look so much better." Harry smiled, making space for me between himself and Hermione. I smiled back, looking up onto the stage. It hadn't been so bad going back to the Slytherin dorms. Hermione had said that even though they were foul, they would be idiots to try and attack me again so soon. It would just make them look guilty. And this had made me feel a little better. All I was getting was harsh glares and shoulder barges from Pansy, nothing I couldn't just ignore and go on with my day.

"Gather 'round, gather 'round! Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent!" Lockhart appeared up on the stage with his cloak hanging from his shoulder. He threw it off into the crowd of students. I looked to Harry and we both rolled our eyes as the girls grabbed it like they were groupies.

"This is going to be interesting." Ron said, laughing slightly.

"Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape. He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry- you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear." said Lockhart and I instantly began to laugh as Snape slowly walked up onto the stage, staring Lockhart down like the absolute moron he was. Harry looked at me as I covered my mouth in an attempt to silence myself, unable to stop himself giggling.

It took me a while to compose myself. There was something so funny about this whole set-up. If Lockhart wasn't a fraud, I'd eat my hat. And he chose to go up against Snape? A horrible man, yes, but a talented wizard. This was going to be funny.

Lockhart and Snape walked face to face, bowing and holding their wands in front of the face before silently turning their backs on each other and taking ten paces. I managed to stop laughing as the room fell silent, waiting for what happened next.

"One, two, three..." Lockhart counted but as soon as he hit three, he went flying backwards and hit the deck. Snape had hit him with Expelliarmus.

"Oh god, do you think he's alright?" Hermione asked, concern spread across her face.

"Who cares?" Ron and I said in unison.

Lockhart went on, making up some lame excuse about why he had just been made a fool of before Snape dropped a snide comment about teaching us to defend ourselves first. He agreed, of course, in fear of looking like a fool - although too late if you asked me. They performed them on each other, showing us how it was done.

"Right, let's have two partners up here to have a go," Lockhart scanned the group of students and his eyes landed on Harry. Of course he would pick Harry. Lockhart was obsessed with fame and although he didn't like it, Harry was the most well known student ever. "Potter, my boy, up you come."