chapter 9

The end of term was nearing and Christmas was rapidly approaching, much to my distaste. I hadn't yet decided what I wanted to do, stay here or go home with Oliver. We still had not spoken since I was in the Hospital Wing months ago. Hermione had told me that she had overheard people in the common room talking about whether I had been expelled or not after the incident with Pansy the other day. Apparently he had left the common room rather abruptly but I confirmed to her, he hadn't come to find me.

I hadn't heard anything from Dumbledore either and once I had managed to calm down, I trained myself not to expect anything. The only good thing that had happened to me since I started Hogwarts was the Hogwarts Express being too full that Harry, Ron and Hermione were forced to sit with me. I did however sometimes let myself dream about it.

As I sat in the library - as I did pretty much all day on the weekend - and finished the conclusion to my essay on the use of Salamander Blood in Potions, I blew the ink to dry before rolling it up and putting it away safely in my bag. Twisting to the side to do so, I glanced up at the door and I saw Oliver frantically looking around everywhere until he caught my eye. He's coming over, I thought.

"Kyla, I need to talk to you. Now." He said far too loudly for the library calling for a series of hushes and a glare from Madam Pince. I looked around self-consciously. What?

"About what?" I asked skeptically.

"Look, do me a favour. Just come outside so I can talk to you." He said in a whisper this time before pacing back out of the library. I picked up all my stuff and headed out quickly after him. He took me by the arm and dragged me out into a quiet corridor, I winced as he did so.

"Ouch, Oliver! Stop it. You're hurting me." I whined and he let go instantly, but he was still frantically checking up and down the corridor, seemingly ensuring nobody was there.

"You've heard about Finch-Fletchley and Sir Nick, right?" He asked, his words coming out at one hundred miles per hour. I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

"No? What about them?" I pressed, unsure why he would come to me to tell me something about a random boy in my year and a ghost. It definitely wasn't the start of a joke he had been dying to tell me all day.

"Petrified last night. Do you not talk to anyone?" Oliver didn't mean it to sound as harsh as it came out, but it still stung. I ignored it though.

"What? How?" I asked, needing more information.

"Kyla, please stay away from Potter." Oliver warned me and I stared blankly at him. "You were there when he started talking Parseltongue to that snake when it was going for Finch-Fletchley, now he's Petrified."

"Oh come on, Oliver. You don't seriously believe that Harr-"

"No, I don't think I believe it. But it's not a risk I'm willing to let you take." Oliver looked down at me now, his manner completely changing from the boy on edge to the brother I knew.

I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to stay away from Harry, I didn't believe he was the one Petrifying people but Oliver had asked me to do something to stay safe, he was caring for me. But could I stay away from one of my only friends in their time of need just because I want my brother to care for me?

"Oliver, I don't know. I trust Harry. He's one of the only people who has been there for me." I said quietly, fiddling with the hair at the nape of my neck. Oliver looked down at me again. I wanted to hug him.

"He was found by Filch over the kid, Ky." said Oliver, worryingly.

"It sounds like you don't actually trust him?" I asked.

"I'm ninety-nine percent sure that he's the Harry Potter we know, but if there's one percent chance of me losing you then I can't." He said and I, once again, was silent. Him losing me?

"Since when did you start caring about losing me?" I snapped back hastily, feeling a little stupid for listening to him in the first place. He, the brother who had practically disowned me, was telling me not to trust Harry, who had stood up for me against that brother.

Oliver threw his hands in the air as if I were being unreasonable. His fingers ran over his forehead and into his hair as he paced over to the window in the corridor and leant against the wall.

"I made mistakes when you were sorted into Slytherin but you changed, you wasn't the sister I knew." Oliver tried to reason but I only grew angrier.

"I changed? I wasn't the sister you knew? Are you kidding me? I got off that stall after my sorting and you never looked at me the same way again. I have changed, Oliver, because I have been attacked and insulted and hurt because I don't fit in, because I was forced to be someone else because you gave up on me."

"Just stay away from Harry, Kyla." Oliver turned to me and made off down the hallway.

"There you go again, just walking away from me." I shouted down the hall. He stopped dead and sighed. I stared angrily at the back of his head. Eventually, he turned on his heels and walked up to me. He looked conflicted, as if he wasn't sure what he was about to do was the right thing.

"You know, our mum was Slytherin," He said harshly. Our mum? I knew nothing about her. Dad refused to talk to me about her, he would always completely fall apart and I had just grown up not knowing a thing. I had asked Daniel and Oliver, but they said they couldn't remember her much. She had left days after I was born. The only thing they had said was that it wasn't my fault.

"Slytherin." I barely managed to speak. "Slytherin? We had Slytherin in our blood and you let me feel like I didn't belong here at all?"

"It was for your own good." Oliver retorted.

"How on Earth could that be for my own good?" If he had wanted to make me angrier, he was doing a bloody good job of it. My mind was racing. Dumbledore must know who my mother is, why didn't he tell me?

"Because she was Slytherin," Oliver sighed. "And now she answers to the Dark Lord."