Seven

Day two of the tournament and Calysta is more than thrilled to see Arthur compete. After her training with the knights, she got ready and ran all the way to Arthur's room to wish him good luck. She knocked on his chamber doors before letting herself in. A huge smile plastered on her face once she sees Arthur in his knight attire.

"Aww, don't you look so dashing and brave?" Calysta said as she closed the door. "Looks like Merlin knows what he's doing." Her comment made Merlin smile.

"How could it be worst than the last time?" Arthur retorted.

"Don't be rude to him. He's doing his best." She cleared her throat before she did a little curtsy. "Now, would my dear brother let do me the honor and escort him down to the stadium?"

Arthur rolled his eyes but smiled at his sister nonetheless. "Well, since it would be in your honor, I don't see why not."

Calysta stood up straight and offered Arthur her arm. "Shall we?"

"Yes." Arthur then moved Calysta's arm before holding up his arm and looping her hand through it. "But it should be more like this. I am the older brother after all."

And so the Pendragons left Arthur's chambers, with Merlin following, and went towards the arena. As soon as Arthur made his appearance, the crowd immediately began cheering. Arthur waved at the crowd as he stood center while Calysta kissed his cheek.

"Good luck, brother," she whispered before detaching herself and made her way towards her seat, next to her father.

The battle soon started. Merlin was watching from the sidelines as Arthur clearly has the upper-hand on the match. He bit his lip with a grin as Arthur swung his sword and nearly hit his opponent on the head. His eyes glanced over to the princess. She's clearly excited about the match since she's almost at the edge of her seat. Merlin's smile grew as he watched her make a fist with loud yes escaping her lips at Arthur's attack. Only to look embarrassed for a second and shrinking back to her seat. Uther only smiled at his daughter before kissing the side of her head, knowing full well that she's always on Arthur's side.

"Is it my imagination, or are you beginning to enjoy yourself?" Gaius asked making Merlin jump in fright. He hadn't known that the Physician was standing behind him all this time.

Merlin let out a happy sigh and answered, "It isn't totally horrible all the time." His gaze went back to Calysta, who was almost out of her seat which Merlin found cute about her excitement. "Especially today."

Gaius raised his brow at the young warlock as he followed his gaze. The other night, after Calysta sang to Merlin, the two soon fell asleep. The princess was still standing but her head was on top of Merlin's while her arms were around him. Merlin was leaning back in his seat snoring softly while his hand was on top of the girl's. Gaius walked in on them like that. He wasn't sure what happened but he knows that the King would go ballistic if he knew his daughter wasn't in her chambers. So Gaius did what anyone else would and slammed the door to wake the both of them up.

"Yes!" Calysta shouted as Arthur dodged his opponent's attack and began to fight back. She never dought Arthur for a second. In her heart, she knew he would have won.

》》》》

And she was right. Arthur won all of his matches which puts him in the final round. Much to her dismay, Valiant also won his matches so he would be facing Arthur.

Calysta grew concerned about the last knight Valiant fought. The knight Ewan looked gravely injured, so bad to the point he couldn't move at all. So after the fight, she went over to the Physician headquarters.

"How is he?" she asked as Merlin let her in.

Gaius looked up from his glasses and informed the princess, "He's severely ill." Calysta went over and saw the snake bites on the knight's neck. "It looks like he's been poisoned by a snake."

"A snake? How is that possible? He was fighting Sir Valiant. I don't think he could get a wound like that through a sword."

Merlin nodded as he ran his hand down his chin. "You're right. This isn't just some wound," he muttered the last part. Without another word, he spun around and left the chambers.

Calysta looked up once she heard the door closed. She gave Gaius an apologetic look. "Excuse me." Gaius nodded at her as she ran out to follow Merlin. "Merlin. Merlin!" Merlin ignored her as he kept walking toward his destination. "Merl-"

Merlin interrupted her. He grabbed the princess and hid them behind the pillar. Her back was pressed against his chest as his hand covered her mouth. Calysta was confused until she heard footsteps. The princess turned her head the best she could to see Valiant walking into his chambers.

"Merlin," Calysta whispered through his hand.

Merlin looked down and realized his hand was still covering her mouth before letting go, a huge blush trying to creep up on his cheeks. "Sorry."

He grabbed the princess's hand and dragged her toward the door. There was a crack huge enough for both of them to see Valiant walking over to the table with a small cage containing a mouse.

"Dinner time," Valiant said as the mouse kept squeaking in his hand.

Calysta's eyes widened when she saw the snakes on Valiant's shield coming to life. They hissed as they attacked the mouse. Merlin gasped before he leaned forward more. It caused a loud creak to come from the door, which alerted Valiant of their presence. Merlin grabbed Calysta's hand and was about to run but she pulled away.

"Go, Merlin," Calysta whispered. "I'll be fine."

Merlin's gut was telling him to pull the princess with him. He didn't want her to get in trouble with the knight, especially since they now know that he's using magic to cheat in the tournament. He feared for the princess's safety. But he had no other choice at that moment and left.

Calysta quickly turned around when she heard the chamber doors open. She held her fist up to make it appear as though she was about to knock. Valiant opened the door with his sword pointed right at her. His eyes widening when he saw the princess standing there.

"My Lady," he greeted as he lowered his sword. "What are you doing here?"

"I - I," Calysta stuttered as she tried to think of a lie. "I wanted to congratulate you on your duel today. I was rather impressed."

"Thank you." He looked around the corridor. "Have you seen someone around here, your Grace?"

"No," she answered rather quickly. She cleared her throat as she gave him a nervous smile as her chest raced in panic. "It's just me. Alone."

Valiant wasn't buying anything. "What are you really doing here?"

Calysta sighed before she giggled. "Ok, you caught me...I promised Morgana I would talk to you on her behalf. She seems to take a liking to you and I care about her. She's like a sister to me so I wanted to make sure -"

"If I'm the right kind of man for her?" Valiant finished for her.

You used magic to cheat and hurt Sir Ewan. You're not the one for her, she thought. Instead, she said, "Right." She curtsied. "I shall get going before my father wonders where I am. Good luck with the tournament, Sir Valiant."

Calysta turned around before she began walking. She heard the door closed and peeked over her shoulder to make sure Valiant wasn't there before she ran towards her chambers. She slammed her doors shut before leaning against it. Her heart racing.

"He's using magic."