I'm here

I felt heavy when I started waking up, it wasn't until I didn't feel Eddie next to me that I sat up. I look at the empty spot next to me, then get up and open my bedroom door. He was nowhere to be found. I grab my phone that was hidden in the covers of my bed. That's when I see a text from Eddie:

Eddie: I had to go to work, we should meet up at my place later ;)

I rub my eyes and yawn, deciding to text back later. I walk to the kitchen and grab a bowl and a spoon. Cereal was really the only thing I was in the mood for, anything else took too much effort to make. I sit down in my usual chair at the bar and eat, reading a news article on my phone. Peter's door opened and he stepped out, going to the kitchen, wearing a light grayish blue shirt and pajama pants like usual. "Morning." I say.

He looks at me, just as tired, "Morning." He breathed, then looked towards my room.

"Eddie left for work." I say.

"It's only 7:30 A.M."

"I think he left at 4:00 A.M."

"Ok." Peter looked around the kitchen, trying to decide what he was in the mood for, "He's right. We don't have many options." He says.

"There's always cereal."

He laughs, "Yeah, there's always that."

He then faced the cabinet where we kept our bowls and reached up, opening the cabinet. My eyes flow down as I notice his shirt ride up—what was that? I squint my eyes, there were small scratches or scars all over his lower back and some of his stomach? It was hard to see, but there was no way these weren't scratches. The lines were red, while some were deeper, and scattered every which way. No way this could be from whatever he does as a physics major. Right? They don't do weird shit that causes something like this... Now that I mention this, I remember during P.E. I saw something similar when he was doing sit-ups with Ned— not that I was purposely watching, I just happened to look over when his shirt rode up... Peter leaned against the counter, looking down at his bowl of cereal, he didn't seem to have an appetite.

How do I ask... "Do you do anything, like, um... Weird as a physics major?"

He furrowed his eyebrows, looking at me "Hm? What do you mean?"

"Like, that may cause damage."

"I suppose sometimes, if something goes wrong... There's usually safety precautions."

"So you've never been involved in a—freak accident?"

He looks at me, laughing a little, like it was crazy that I would even think this, "Nono, we're all usually fine."

... "you're sure?"

"Yeah."

I bite my lip, contemplating... "Ok." If this was anything normal, I wouldn't press him. But this seemed serious... "take off your shirt Peter."

"What?"

"Peter, I'm serious."

"MJ-"

"Well, why don't you want to?"

He set his bowl down, his face making a shocked and confused expression with an almost defensive tone as he spoke, "Because! "