Overreacting

Eddie and I layed on my bed, me on my side with his arm around my waist spooning me. I was on my phone as he cuddled into my neck with his eyes closed. He placed small kisses on me before we heard a thud from the other room. I sat up confused, Eddie looked up at me, "your friend always do that at midnight?"

           I get up, and go to my door, Eddie looking at me from the bed as I walk out. I stand in front of Peter's door and knock, "Peter?" I ask, feeling only slightly worried. I waited for an answer but all that followed were muffled thuds. I open the door and peak in, "Peter-"

           Peter stood in the middle of his room, only in boxers. He looked like he was looking for something before he then looked at me. I quickly shut the door and turned my back to it. My face felt warm and I felt my heart racing. I just saw Peter shirtless. I knew he was fit but he had abs. I was not expecting that... I hear stumbling behind me when he opened the door, now having a shirt on, "Uh-sorry-MJ-"

          "It's fine-it was me-not you—okay glad you're ok. Bye." I say, leaving to my room and closing the door gently. I looked at Eddie, who laid on his back as he looked at his phone. I join him, under my covers and try to settle back down.

The next morning.

     I lay in bed awake... Eddie had gotten up and left the room, I never heard the front door open so I assumed he was still here.

     When I got up and left my room, I saw Eddie in the kitchen. He had two bowls in front of him and a box of cereal beside, "You guys don't have a lot of options." He says, looking at me.

      "I know," I laugh, sitting down at the breakfast bar as I let him pour the cereal in my bowl. He pours himself one and sits beside me. The morning felt a little groggy as the sky outside was gray with clouds. Peter makes a sudden entrance from his room and looks surprised upon seeing Eddie and I.

       "Hey, Peter, right?" Eddie asked.

       "Oh, yeah."

       "Have you thought about getting more food in here, you guys could use it." Eddie said.

        Peter nodded, going to the kitchen and putting some toast in. He looked more tense than usual as he faced the toaster and glanced back at his room.

        "Hey, I was thinking, if you're not busy..." I start, as Peter looks at me, nodding slightly, waiting for me to finish. "Ned, Dani, and you can come out for the night with Eddie and I."

       After a pause, the old Peter I remembered came back with a small smile, "Uh-yeah, sounds like fun. I'll-uh-go ask Ned." He says, grabbing his piece of toast and exiting to his room. He closes his door and Eddie looks at me.

        "Hard to believe you guys are good friends."

         I look down at my cereal, feeling slightly offended, "We are, he's just been off lately...Yeah he's awkward but-"

        "Clearly... I didn't think you'd have friends like this."

        "What does that mean?" I ask, squinting my eyes. I couldn't help but feel defensive... it's only that I knew Peter. Sure, we didn't talk about everything but I knew he would drop anything for me.

         Eddie laughed, "Whoa, Michelle, calm down. I was just saying." He shrugged.

         "..."

          Eddie got up and kissed my forehead before making himself at home on the couch. I assumed it came so naturally to him because he was never usually at his own place... I stayed at the breakfast bar thinking... Maybe I was overreacting... God, why do I feel like this???

         Suddenly, all I wanted to do was talk to Peter... I never felt small when talking to him...

          I look at his door... I don't know why I was hesitating so much. I get up and go to his door-

         "Michelle, come over here." Eddie said, having his arm resting on the back of the couch as he beckoned to me.

         "I'm just going to-" I start turning back to Peter's door.

         "Michelle, you can do that later. You guys live together, don't you?"

          I thought for a moment before then going over to Eddie and sat down beside him as I felt his arm come around me. I was overreacting.

7:00 P.M.

     The bar was a mix between a nightclub and a chill lounging place you would find with VIP boxes at those sport events. The place was not overwhelmingly crowded and there was no blaring music. All five of us created our own secluded corner on a rounded couch of the bar with no table between. The lights above us were low dimmed fairy lights; I sat beside Eddie as Dani sat directly across with Peter beside her and Ned beside Peter.

    Eddie was telling the story of how him and Harry met, a story I had already heard so I took that time to observe the others that I hadn't seen in a while.

    Dani's red hair was down and straight, reaching her shoulders as she listened to Eddie somewhat carelessly. Ned had worn a hat that "he was determined to wear," Peter whispered to me when we met up with them, and listened intently to what Eddie spoke of. Peter listened how he always does. Purposefully.

     Eddie laughed at his own story causing Ned and Peter to follow suit, Dani only smiled.

      Eddie leaned back and put an arm around me, "Should I get us drinks?" He asked, standing up from the couch but Dani stood up, "Oh no no, I will get the drinks. What does everyone want?" She asked, taking orders before going off to the bar.

      We engaged in small talk until she returned, handing everyone back their respective drink. This felt nice. Everyone here. It had been too long since the last. Conversation had started to speed up as Dani talked about the craziness of her own life, talking about her time on drugs and how she had made out with four different people.

     Eddie wrapped his arm around my waist as we sat and everyone talked. At one point Peter had excused himself to get refills for everyone—Dani didn't stop him. After he left, I sat a bit more anxiously. I wanted to go with him. I waited and thought... Fuck it. "Eddie, I'm going to go help him. He's probably gonna drop something." I say, standing up and leaving.

      Peter stood at the bar stiffly, looking at the drinks being made. I pull up beside him, "Needed to escape the conversation?" I ask him, playfully, to make him ease up. It worked as Peter laughed, "Yeah."

      "Did you tell Ned he looks stupid in that fedora?"

      "Yes! I did. He wanted to impress Eddie." Peter said, glancing at me with a smile.

      "That's not going to do it."

      "That's what I said."  Peter laughed. After a pause he looked at me, "Hey, Eddie's really cool..."

      "Yeah he is." I say, looking back over at our table. Seeing the blonde man laugh with a charming grin on his face.