Zoey

I don't know what I'd expected of Luna Karina's older son, but the olive-skinned, dark-eyed, angry piece of art that walked into the room last night wasn't it. Between my shock at seeing him and the general fear o what was going to happen next, I'd barely squeaked out a couple words before he snapped and I ran. He hadn't approached or followed me, so I doubt he wanted to hurt me. Yet hearing a guy growl at me triggered my flight instinct. I bolted to find somewhere safe before anything else could happen. Luna Karina found me in a closet down the hall and brought me to her room, as Alpha Lucas was out on night patrol. She didn't say a word, just showed me to the couch bed and let me settle down.

I heard every sound in the night: every patrol change, every bathroom visit, every person going to the kitchen for water. Luna Karina slept peacefully, but I barely closed my eyes. By the time morning came, I was already awake.

"We'll have breakfast on the patio," Luna announced as she emerged from her bathroom. "Breakfast at the main table can be an overwhelming experience, even for those of us who experience it every day. It'll be quieter on the patio."

"Thank you," I murmured, twisting my hands. "I don't think I could handle a full table of strangers at the moment."

"...and you don't need to," Luna assured me. "You can request private meals if you ever feel the need to do so."

I watched her throw on a light dusting of makeup, wondering if impeccable appearance was required. Probably not, as my parents would never bring me somewhere where perfection was so highly valued. Maybe Luna like to look nice for her pack: that made sense. I wouldn't put that kind of pressure on myself.

"Zoey?"

I blinked and found Luna staring at me. She'd finished her makeup and moved a little closer. I tried not to flinch at her nearness, even though she was still a couple yards away.

"I know you encountered my son last night."

Encountered, not met... That was a good way of describing it. He'd blustered into the room and I scurried out of it. No names or pleasantries exchanged.

"While he needs to apologize to you himself, please accept my apology on his behalf."

"No needs to apologize to me," I murmured. "I was the one in the odd place."

A certain light flickered across her eyes, one that I'd seen many times before. I was the light of wanting but not wanting to disagree with me. I'd seen it enough to recognize it. She chewed on her bottom lip for a moment but didn't engage.

"His behavior was inexcusable," she finally sighed. "Regardless of your predicament, he had no reason to treat you the way he did. I swear I raised him better than that."

I wanted to say that it was fine, that it didn't bother me... but I could tell that she wouldn't accept my words and that she'd worry more if I said it, so I held my tongue. The last thing I wanted was an over-worried luna hovering about me.

"Shall we go down to breakfast?" she quipped, her shift of conversation catching me off-guard.

"Uhm... yeah," I murmured.

We exited her room just as Alpha Lucas appeared outside the door. I stepped closer to the wall as he leaned forward to kiss his mate. He hadn't masked his lycan authority, so his power scent was nearly suffocating. My wolf whimpered and shrank away. I stared at the floor and hurried down the hall. I could wait for her by the stairs where I didn't feel smothered.

She followed after me a few seconds later, an apologetic smile on her face. We made our way down the stairs, getting closer to the sound of whoever was gathered in the dining room. Thankfully, we didn't pass through the crowded room. The sound of many voices triggered a series of flashbacks in my mind, memories of nightmares come to life. I shut my eyes for a moment and shook my head. This was not the time to lose it because of lots of people enjoying their breakfast.