Chapter 20

Van

Van, wake up.

Van flinched awake, Stitch's voice echoing through the mindlink. Over on the couch, Zoey shifted to her other side and sighed in her sleep.

Van!

I'm up, he shot back, rubbing his eyes. What's wrong?

Patrol picked up on some movement on the south border, Stitch said. It looks like someone slipped into our territory.

Van grit his teeth. Two questions sprang to mind, but he asked the more pressing one. Midnight?

...has to be. Who else would sneak in during the night?

Where are you now? Van sat up and threw the covers to the side.

I'll be outside your door in ten seconds.

Van hurried to the door and pulled it open right as Stitch arrived. The two men stared at each other for a moment, acknowledging the gravity of the situation.

"I'll take Zoey to the bunker," Stitch said. "Snuff is—"

"I've got Zoey," Van growled, half man half wolf. The thought of anyone else taking care of her when the risk of discovery was the highest made his stomach twist in knots. He couldn't trust her into anyone else's care. She was his responsibility, and moon help the one who tried to get in his way.

"I'll stay with Zoey," he repeated. "You and Snuff go meet up with patrol to see what's going on. Come get us when the coast is clear."

Stitch shot a glance into the bedroom, specifically towards the couch where Zoey slept. Van sidestepped to block his teammate's view.

"Isn't this a bit urgent?" he growled. "Shouldn't we be moving?"

Stitch nodded and took a step back. "Of course. I'll be in touch soon."

Van waited until Stitch disappeared down the hall before he spun around. He'd practiced raid protocols so many times that he could sleep walk it. Now, as he flew around the room throwing clothes and other items into his go pack, he was rethinking everything in terms of accommodating another person.

Zoey didn't move as he grabbed some of her clothes from her suitcase. Once he'd clipped the bag closed, he crouched beside the couch and gently squeezed her shoulder.

"Zoey, wake up," he murmured, trying not to startle her. "Zoey."

Her face scrunched as she started to wake up. He squeezed her shoulder again and waited. Her eyes blinked open but it took a minute before she seemed to see him.

"Van?" she mumbled, a sleeping tremor in her voice. "What time is it?"

"It's the middle of the night," he answered, giving her a straight fact. "We need to go."

"Go where?" she yawned. "What's happening?"

"Some crossed into our territory, Zoey. Patrol spotted them."

She sat bolt upright with wide eyes, fully awake now. "My mate?"

"We don't know yet. I doubt it's him, but most likely it is someone from Midnight. We are going to a safety bunker until they're gone or in our custody." He rose to his feet and held out a hand to her.

She flung off her blanket and swung her feet to the floor. "How did they find me? If my mate finds out I'm here, the whole plan is worthless. He'll never back down, and we lose the element of surprise."

"Zoey." He grabbed her shoulders when she stood up and held her still. From the wild look in her eyes, she was spiraling. The contact pulled her back from a dangerous mental precipice, and she looked up at him.