45

—SEOUL, SOUTH KOREAhannam-dong, UN Village

—SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
hannam-dong, UN Village

"There have been to many lies and right now, I've had enough of it,"

Myeonji nodded beside Wonyoung, agreeing with her older sister. This afternoon, Myeonji and Wonyoung practically kidnapped their parents from their cars and forced them to sit down in front of them. It was a Wednesday afternoon meaning that Wonyoung and Myeonji had miraculously caught their parents just about to leave the house once again.

"Do you know how hard it's been? Having Naeun and Hana practically becoming our parents? What is up with you guys?" Wonyoung pressed. To be honest, Myeonji could see how much this affected her older sister. But it wasn't Myeonji's place to blame her. Wonyoung lived in the States with their grandparents without love from her very own parents.

Myeonji watched as her mother sighed. Even though she hadn't uttered a word, Myeonji could easily tell that she was regretful for her actions towards her daughters. "Wonyoung—"

"Mom, didn't you leave? Like for a week without telling us a couple of months ago?" Wonyoung interrupted her. Myeonji couldn't help but grab ahold of Wonyoung's wrist, trying to calm her down.

"Wonyoung, calm down," Myeonji whispered gently. She understood how Wonyoung felt right at this moment. The feeling of being felt out and the feeling of being unloved.

Wonyoung looked at her younger sister and Myeonji was very shocked to meet with glossy eyes. "How can I calm down when Mom and Dad are clearly having issues, Myeon? Are you that blind?" She hissed, making Myeonji pull her hand back from her wrist and instead looked at her parents in shock.

"Divorce papers," Wonyoung cried out in a vulnerable whisper. Myeonji was about to question it but was rather met with Wonyoung tossing a slab of paper into her lap. "It was in their office, lying around as if they wanted us to find out."

Myeonji's eyebrows furrowed as she began looking at the papers on her lap. But she didn't dare touch them. Why would she want to see confirmation of her parent's splitting?

Alternately, the young girl looked up and smiled a sad simper. The smile dropped immediately though as she began speaking. "Why?"

This time, her dad shuffled forward and fidgeted with his fingers. "Like with you two and with us, your mother and I grew apart. I admit that I'm always busy with work, and she wants to spend more time with us—as a family."

"So why can't you?" Their mother snapped. Wonyoung hid her face, frustrated as they were fighting once again. "Just one afternoon, that's all I'm asking," She continued.