8 - legs that cannot fly

Hinata

Students had come out to watch our match today. I noticed it felt louder than usual. My heart raced and I breathed heavily. I could only let the sound of my pounding heart block out the crowd.

This was the same feeling I had at the start of every game, I thought. I'll get over the feeling as time passes, I also had thought.

But I knew this wasn't the same as like every other time. It was very different from any other game i've felt sick in.

What would everyone think of me? "A girl on the court?" or, "shouldn't she be on the girl's team?" It was strange. I knew i belonged on the team, I was originally a boy after all. So then, what was I afraid of? I wasn't sure.

A cool hand wrap around my wrist, and I jolted, surprised.

"Boke- Hinata. Don't make that face, you'll do fine."

I looked at Kageyama. He glanced away, trying to hide his red beat face and tinted pink ears.

"I mean, it'll make us all look bad if you're nervous like that.."

He did a bad job hiding his worry, I couldn't help but let out a quiet giggle. I'm sure he was embarrassed, helping me out like that.

He turned around awkwardly, and murmured something before letting go of me and walking away.

"Hehe. Thanks Kageyama!" I glimmered. He ignored me but his encouragement was enough for my distress to disappear.

Yeah, I shouldn't be worrying. I've always been apart of the team, so one small switch shouldn't change a thing. Why would I worry over everyone's thoughts?

It wasn't like me to think all of these negative thoughts in the first place either.

It might be a side effect of being a girl.. I'll ask mom later.

———

The whistle blew. We were on the serving side. Everyone seemed calm, yet there was a big aura cracking the atmosphere. It came from Tanaka and Nishinoya.

The aura they let out was frightening. I hope the best for Nekoma today..

"Nice serve!" Sugawara yelled out from the sidelines.

Yamaguchi served his new float serve that had made it over.

"Nice!" Tanaka breathed out, then moved forward.

On the other side it was already a rough start for them. Lev had received the ball barely, and Kenma struggled to set the ball.

They managed to spike the ball over, but it was hard to watch.

"Got it!" Nishinoya yelled, passing it over to Kageyama.

"GEH!" Tanaka grunted happily when his hand came into impact with the ball.

The ball crashed onto the bruised, wood floor. The first point was made just like that.

That was the quickest point we've ever made against Nekoma.

Our team gave quick high-fives. I looked at the other side and saw Kenma staring holes into Lev.

"You're practicing receives with Yaku after this."

"N-no! Kenma, I'm sorry! I'll do better! I swear that was just a fluke!"

"You're staying with me," Yaku butted in. "I better not see you walking into the changing rooms once this game is over."

"..yes sir.."

The game was fun and challenging. Nekoma had gotten back into their groove after the incident.

The sound of the floors squeaking, the slap of the ball, whistles blowing, my heart racing, and the cheers of celebration. It made me light up inside.

———

We were on our third game. We've won the first round while Nekoma won the second.

At the moment we're tied, the points 12-12.

Everyone was dripping from sweat. My long hair slicked back into a pony tail was now a mess, but I didn't care for it. The only goal I had this second was to keep the ball in the air and score.

This was a race. When one ran ahead, the other ran faster to catch up. Neither teams wanted to slow down and catch a breather. Because if they did, the other would win.

Both teams pushed themselves to the limit. But both were still on their toes, ready again to move and drag themselves until the end.

My arms were red and my legs were heavy. Each time a ball was thrown at me, I didn't think I had the ability to jump. Each time though, I pushed myself the best I could up into the air.

Our defense wasn't like nekoma's but with every attack we gave, we put our hearts into it.

"Ennoshita, nice serve!" I called out.

I watched the ball move from one side of the net to the other. It was a battle. Which side would it land on? Unfortunately it was ours.

"It's alright guys! We can catch up!" Daichi huffed. He readied himself and waited for the serve to fly over.

Everyone was tired. I was too. I knew we had to catch up. I knew we had to score.

The ball came over and i decided. After a few rounds of throwing the ball over to eachother's side, I gave Kageyama the signal.

I knew he'd question me later. I was tired and struggled to jump, it was clear to everyone. I was asking to pass out. But he couldn't do anything at the moment, he could only comply. We both knew.

I ran with all of my might and jumped as high as i could, forcing every last bit of my aching body to fly. The ball came into my view. I hit it.

My eyes widened as I saw two long arms jump and block my last attempt. I watched as the ball fell to the ground.

There was only silence in the room. No one cheered, no one even made a sound.

I looked up at one of the referees. He slowly put the whistle to his lips and let out a loud blow.

His arm indicated that it was Nekoma's win.

———

hi sorry it's been so long. Wattpad isn't my main interest, i just upload whenever i want. but sometimes i feel bad reading the comments so i forced myself to write today just for you guys. glad you all like my story tho lol. 🤠