Episode 3 - Saving Charles

Two men jumped from the trees

Two men jumped from the trees. One approached the cave where Charles' parents and some servants were sheltered. The servants tried to protect the emeritus king and queen, who struggled to leave the cave to join their son lying outside. The other attacker walked through the injured men. He stopped nearby Charles and was about to unveil the young king's yellow cape, which curiously had no signs of blood. When the man touched the cape, Charles abruptly kicked him off, unsheathed his sword and showed his pistol.

'Do you really think I wouldn't wear a bullet proof vest?', he smiled while touching the throat of the attacker with the tip of the sword, 'Who planned this?'

'I wouldn't be so confident, your highness. Drop your weapons, or I will kill everyone in this cave,' threatened the man near the cave.

Paulette arrived, and Charles took advantage from the distraction caused by the horse neigh to shoot the two attackers. The king and queen ran to Charles, when he was sheathing the sword and closing his eyes in a moment of regret. The queen hugged him tight and asked him to return to the Emerald castle. Charles nodded and left his parents to approach the guards lying on the floor.

'It is over, my friends. You can stand up now.'

Nobody answered. They remained still, lying face down, and an icy cold ran down Charles' spine. He desperately started turning them belly upward. Some were already dead, and others deeply injured. Charles immediately called the servants and the doctor, who was always present in these royal trips. Then he approached Andrew, who was hardly breathing. Charles slightly raised Andrew with his arms and noticed he was shot in the belly.

 Charles slightly raised Andrew with his arms and noticed he was shot in the belly

'Andrew, what happened to your vest...?', asked Charles incredulously.

'They were not ready in time... and I would not cancel this trip, because of that... You had one. That was all that mattered...', whispered Andrew while panting.

'You should have informed me,' lamented Charles.

'Your majesty, please, go away with the queen and the prince. This kingdom doesn't deserve you...', asked Andrew.

'But Andrew...'

'Promise me you will go away", shuddered Andrew, 'Please, leave me here... let me take your place to spare your life...'