Episode 2 - A simple dream

Life went on after the strange death of the Marquis of Boscanny. The royal couple spent joyful days watching their son grow up. The little prince had rosy cheeks, dark eyes identical to Cinderella's and chestnut brown hair. The baby had already started to walk, but he was lazy to talk. Although he babbled a lot and pointed at things to communicate, 'Mama' was still his only comprehensible word.

Charles would not give up on his political priorities. He and Cinderella visited the University, as they planned, and gave a speech before students, professors, the President of the University and everyone else interested. The library was so full that several students had to watch the all session standing.

 The library was so full that several students had to watch the all session standing

'Good morning. I am delighted to be here in this beautiful library. In first place, I greet the students, professors, the university organization, the president and the entire staff. Now I would like to say just a few words, before the inauguration of the construction work.

'As you know, some of the first universities emerged, by royal or clergy impulse, in the Middle Ages. Some kings understood quite early the importance of knowledge to improve their kingdoms. Unfortunately, endless wars, epidemics and narrow-minded rulers constantly undermined the development of these projects. Other universities, guilds in its first stages, arose as an independent association neither dictated by crown, nor church. The university soon realized that any form of power, which is mostly moved by interests – for good and evil –, could affect the free pursue of knowledge', introduced Charles to the attentive audience.

'To be honest, I am more attracted to this idea of the university as an autonomous place fighting for freedom and focused on knowledge in itself than a university subservient to power. Yet I cannot deny our heritage and the fact that my family founded this specific university. There lies in this case a connection to royalty I cannot erase, but I think it is fair to limit the king's role to material support, and let the university exercise its power. It might sound strange to you, but I am fully aware of the power of the university. What good is a king when compared this place that can open people's minds? Ultimately, and hopefully – if governed by good principles –, the university will become one of the greatest forms of power.'

Most of the students applauded. Charles smiled, surprised by the warm reaction.

'The queen and I are here today to celebrate a new cycle in the history of this University, by rehabilitating and expanding its campus, in order to provide new conditions for medical research in close connection to the hospital, improve the buildings hosting arts, humanities and sciences courses, enabling the best interaction between disciplines', he paused and looked at Cinderella, 'Queen Cinderella is one of my greatest allies. She works with me...'

Cinderella blushed and the audience clapped.

'I am not just saying this to convince her to speak now', he smiled, 'but I would like to remind that some queens ruled impressively. Maybe it is about time to admit and welcome more women at the university...', he suggested.