Year 6 - Pensieve and Merope

Start from the beginning

"Marvolo...Like Tom Riddle's middle name."

"Yes, Harry. That was Tom Riddle's Grandfather and Uncle, who were arrested."

"So that means that... that woman was..."

"Yes, Tom Riddle's mother."

"Merope after they were arrested was free to do what she wanted. It is believed that while unskilled in magic was proficient in potions. She used a love potion of Tom Riddle and married him. After a few months, Tom returned to his Muggle village saying how he was bewitched by Merope. No one believed him. I believe that Merope once she fell pregnant was hoping that Tom Riddle would love her out of the love potion and wouldn't leave her. Sadly she was wrong and was left alone with nowhere to go." Dumbledore explained it all and Harry listened intently. 

After a moment of silence for Harry to process everything he spoke, "is it okay to tell my friends?"

"I would prefer if you don't tell certain people, but I am not you and you can do as you wish, with the information I have given you. But I would be careful to not talk about such matters in letters." 

Harry nodded, "thank you, Professor."

"Now off you go Harry I'm sure you have some studying to do."

Harry nodded and turned to leave the professor to his thoughts, but stopped as he saw the ring from the memories on his desk. 

"Sir, you have the ring?" 

"Yes, I acquired it through many difficult means." 

"Is that what has caused your hand..." Harry stopped talked but referred to Dumbledore's blackened hand.

Dumbledore smiled kindly at him, "Yes the ring did cause this."

"Is it...?"

"Still dangerous? No, Harry now it's a normal ring. The curse that laid upon it is now gone from it."

"Professor you told me to trust my instincts?" Harry looked up at Dumbledore into his blue eyes.

"I did?"

"May I take the ring?"

Dumbledore stood for a moment thinking, but Harry quickly interjected.

"I don't know why Professor, but I just feel that I have to give that to someone..." Harry didn't want to mention her name, but Dumbledore knew.

After a moment Dumbledore sighed, "go ahead."

Harry quickly grabbed the ring and walked out of the office to his common room to tell Ron first. Once back into the common room Harry could tell Ron was in no state to be told anything at the moment.

"Ron, what's going on?"

"Why did you have to land in detention for quidditch tryouts. Your captain shouldn't you be there?!" Ron was panicking.

"I was going to be there when we scheduled it, but Snape has other plans for me tonight. Besides Ron just do your best and Katie is the best and won't pick the wrong person. I'm sure you'll do great." Harry tried to calm Ron down, but it just wasn't working. Ron finally finished and sadly picked himself up.

"Hey Harry, I already talked to Hagrid, but you might want to talk to him," Ron said before leaving.

"What? Why?" Harry tried to question, but it was too late as Ron already left.

Harry sighed and started walking down to go to Hagrid's when he heard a voice.

"Potter! You better stop I have a few questions for you!" Harry turned and saw Hermione. 

"Good just the person I was looking for," Harry said as Hermione caught up to him. 

"What?"

"I had a meeting with Dumbledore tonight."

"And?"

Harry then jumped straight into everything he saw. They were nearing Hagrid's once he was done talking.

There was silence between them for a second, "...the ring..."

"Yes," Harry pulled it out of his robe pocket showing it to her. "I don't know why, but I felt that I should give it to you. Maybe you can do your research magic or something and find out something...I don't know. But you should have it."

Hermione hesitated for a second looking at the ring in his hand. 

"Don't worry. The curse on it is gone now, Dumbledore said." Hermione nodded and quickly grabbed it stuffing it in her pocket going to revisit it later once she was alone.

Soon the two were at Hagrid's cabin and knocked. Hagrid opened the door looked down at the two and closed it once again. 

Shocked the two knocked again.

"GO AWAY!" Hagrid boomed at them.

"Hagrid open up!" Harry yelled.

"Why should I let traitors into my house."

"Traitors?" Hermione questioned.

"What do you mean Hagrid?" Harry questioned and the door opened once again.

"Not taking my class this year."

'Oh...' they both thought.

Hermione finally spoke up, "Honestly Hagrid with the profession I want to go into Care of Magical Creatures is not one of the classes needed for it, and even with all of the classes needed I have no time for it. For Harry over here though I can't say..."

Hagrid glared at them, "at least one of you is being honest."

Harry was silent for a moment, "Hagrid I'm really sorry...if you want I could start visiting Aragog with you." Harry finished not really wanting to do it, but if need be would.

Hagrid cheered up slightly, "No...no...Harry. The clan will eat anyone who's not me that goes, but thank you. Aragog would have loved that, he has been sick recently."

Harry tried to use his best smile but came out more of the grimace. 

"GOODNESS!" Hagrid suddenly boomed and the two jumped slightly. "Look at the time, Harry don't you have detention with Snape soon! He was bragging about it during dinner. You wouldn't want to be late. You will be in worse trouble."

Harry and Hermione nodded and quickly left going back to the castle. Once outside Hermione pushed his arm.

"Ouch! What was that for!"

"That was for volunteering to go to a spider den. I know Hagrid and he would expect me to come with you and that is a hard no from me."

"Yeah sorry about that."

"Save it, Potter."

"HARRY! GRANGER! Just the two I was looking for!" A voice yelled behind them.

Hermione smiled, "Hello Professor Slughorn."

"I was hoping to catch you two some time and I heard about your detention Harry and just followed this path. Now here you two are!"

Hermione smiled, "Here we are." Harry could nearly hear her fakeness if he didn't know how she really was thinking at the moment.

"I was going to invite you next Friday to a little gathering I'm holding. Just a small gathering, both of you two would be splendid additions to the group!"

"I would be delighted Professor," Hermoine smiled agreeing.

Harry rubbed the back of his head, "I had detention for the next two Fridays sorry Professor. But next time I hope to join?"

"Of course anytime Harry anytime!"

"Now off with you two! Cheers!" Slughorn walked away.

Hermione turned to Harry after he was out of sight. 

"Now Harry that I'm reminded about that...we need to talk about potions class..."

"Sorry Hermione DETENTION!" Harry smiled and quickly ran away.

"WE WILL TALK ABOUT THIS SOON POTTER!"