Chapter 47: A Streetcar Named Ariel

Seven months before the Outbreak

Chirp chirp.

Michael moved his head around to find the source of the noise. It was not the traffic on the road or a passer-by's cellphone. He lowered his eyes and saw a small robin at his feet. As their gazes met, the robin made a similar movement with his head but stopped their beak toward the young man's sandwich.

"Oh ok," mumbled Michael as he threw crumbs to the bird. "Here."

The robin nodded, pecked down, and flew away toward the sun. Michael swung his legs on the bench of the tram station. His left pocket vibrated and he put his phone out.

"You're okay?" texted Ariel.

"I'm so excited!!! Jack's finally back :)," answered Michael.

"It's been only one week..." responded Ariel.

Michael typed some emojis before he slid his phone back in. Suddenly, the young man jumped off the bench at the sight of a streetcar. His lips grew from ear to ear as he held his clenched hands up. The vehicle stopped in front of him and Michael squeed a bit. Some strangers walked out, but Michael looked through them. As soon as a head of shiny blonde hair appeared, Michael sprung and hugged the person.

"Wow!" Jack shouted as he tried to keep his balance.

"I've missed you so much," Michael said as he nested his head against Jack's chest.

Jack wrapped his arms around his boyfriend. "Me too."

"Yo Jack!" screamed a voice in the distance.

Michael's eyes burst open and he aimed them at the one who said it.

"Yo Charlie!" Jack walked away and hand shook the other young men.

Michael watched them and fiddled his fingers together.

"What are you doing here?" asked another.

Jack gestured at the station. "I'm staying a bit here before going back to my father's."

"Nice!" His friend tapped Jack's left arm. "You're up to something?"

The raven-haired boy stared at them and scratched at his left hand.

"Well, Michael and I wanted to go to the brook," Jack answered.

Charlie rose an eyebrow. "The brook? Sounds kinda boring."

"B-boring?" Michael mumbled as he stepped back.

"I heard that Javier García was signing autographs at the mall," the other friend said.

Jack's eyes filled with stars. "Javier García?! The one who beat the Walkers of Ericson?"

Michael wrapped his arms around himself and trembled. "Wh-wh-what about the brook?"