Chapter 7: Milk, Vinegar, and Honey

One month after the Outbreak

The streets of Little Brook were covered with yellow dust. The heat scorched the air. The sky was swarmed by birds so bony they compared to locusts. Between the dead silent buildings and empty cars, five people crossed a road on bikes.

"Ugh, don't we have more 'manlike' things to ride?" asked Jack.

"You know Jack, soldiers used to bikes," Peter said with vigorous pushes on the pedals. "It was to pack more stuff and reach longer distances. Riding bikes has nothing wrong with-"

Michael rode by and whistled. "Wow Jack, you look fabulous on that bike," he said as he laughed.

Jack glared at Michael, yet let out a snicker.

"Kids," Peter said with a chuckle.

Peter braked, his smile replaced by a serious expression.

"Everyone, stop." He lifted his right hand. "We're close to the Dead Sea."

Peter grabbed a talkie-walkie and informed David of their position.

The whole group edged in the middle of the road. Peter grabbed an army knife. Jack took a hold of his bat. Michael put a twirling baton out of his backpack. Behind them, a blond woman ended the march, she had a sweatshirt on and held a kitchen knife. Her name was Judy. She used to a bank director and has fought her way through a mob of zombified customers. At the end of the march was a man with a flannel shirt and a cap had an ax between his hands. His parents named him Susan after an unfortunate drunk honeymoon. 

"Why is it called the Dead Sea?" Jack asked with a low voice.

"Because all the people who went there died," Judy answered with a dry tone.

"The sun's setting," Peter said. "We should find a shelter to stay in until tomorrow"

On the outskirts of the Dead Sea, the group found safety in a tanning salon called Hathor's Beach. The place had its fair share of palm trees, hieroglyphs on wallpapers, and amulets that hung around.

In the middle of the night, Jack opened his eyes. The others were asleep. He observed the place. Rays of moonlight shone on Michael's face. The latter was on his knees with his hands joined together, while his eyes were directed at the window. When they used to be together, Michael would do this while Jack slept. It brought him a nostalgia within the blonde young man.

"What are you praying for?" asked Jack.

"The usual. Love, health, and for my dreams to come true," Michael answered, as he glanced at Jack.

"You're aware there's a zombie apocalypse going right now?" Jack asked.

"Apocalypse?" Michael closed his eyes half-way. "Apocalypse means the end of the world... But it's just the end of a world."