Chapter 8: Circle of Hate

Disclaimer: The chapter is showcasing a scene that may trigger mental health issues. If you don't feel concerned and want to avoid spoilers for the chapter, you can skip this disclaimer. If you're still reading the disclaimer, then know that the chapter contains a scene where a character take their own life.  If you want to avoid this scene, you can skip the second flashback which begins with "Sixteen years before the Outbreak" and end twice with "~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~". 

If you feel overly depressed and need to talk: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can be reached at 1-800-273-8255, and in 2019, the use of 988 was approved.

Thank you for bearing with me, sending love and support to the whole world.

End of Disclaimer

________________________________

Sixteen years before the Outbreak

Among the trees, there was a house that had lost its white due to cold wind and mold. Inside, a room was sheltered from the rest of the house by a closed door. Its wallpaper had the color and texture of cracked eggshells. A crucifix with Jesus was up on one of the walls. Another held a picture of the Holy Virgin Mary. Outside, nightingales gathered on the tree near the window. In a bed, a boy covered himself under a blanket with a twig pattern.

All of a sudden, he trembled when the door of the hallway slammed. He put his hands against his ears. He did not want to hear the loud words. When the door of his room opened, he tremored. With fear, he slid his eyes out of the blanket.

"Momma!" the boy shouted.

With a wide smile, he ran to hug his mother. However, his mother did not return it back. Curious, he looked up at his mother's face. Tears were running down her cheeks.

"I'm s-sorry Michael," she said as she brushed her eyes with one hand. "It's okay, don't worry."

"Maybe the neighbors can help?" Michael asked with a soft voice.

"Michael, I already told you." His mother paused. "They won't help us. Nobody will!"

The boy looked at the ground as he wept. His mother kneeled on one knee, as she put a hand on his hair.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you... Please, don't be sad, as long we're together, it will be okay," she said.

"You... You promise that you'll never leave me?" Michael asked.

"It's a promise," she said.

He trusted her.