Chapter 44: La Résistance

Four months after the Outbreak

Everyone had gathered in the entrance hall, except for Caroline, who they let with Peter. From the right, her soft wept echoed in the silence. White butterflies flew danced above until they disappeared in a flash of light.

All of them had their eyes directed at the floor.

Peter, their leader, was gone. He was gone.

After a while, Caroline came back; colors had left the woman's face.

"I'm gonna kill him," she said under her breath. "I'm gonna kill David."

Michael took and a step back and froze.

"Caroline." Ariel paused. "Do you-"

"Ariel, please." Caroline cut her off. "I appreciate it, but the only thing I need right now is blowing up that bastard's skull."

Ariel crossed her arms. "Caroline, your emotions are talking, we need to think of a plan first."

"Well here's a plan, we use Michael as a bait and then we shoot David and his men down!" Caroline shouted.

"We don't even have guns," Ariel replied.

"Ariel." Michael gazed at her.

Jack gestured outside. "I think that first, we need to be sure nobody is around the library right now." Jack softened his voice, "Is it okay, Caroline?"

The woman sighed. "Fine."

The group gathered with cautious steps near a window toward the right corner. Jack grabbed a tore off wooden rail post and held it up. Slowly, Michael rose his head from behind the wall to the glass.

"Here's how it works," Michael whispered. "If a red dot appears on my forehead, I'm fucked."

Ariel furrowed her brows. "Stop messing around, you could be in danger."

Michael peered between the floorboards nailed to the window. "Sixth birthday."

Jack lolled his head to the right. "Sixth birthday?"

"Well, like at my sixth birthday, there is nobody in sight." Michael gestured outside.

"Why would they leave?" Ariel checked through another window.

Jack glanced outside. "I don't know." He turned his head toward the other side of the door, his eyes widened. "There are people in front of the door."

"Oh fuck," Michael muttered.

Boom!

The two entrance doors flung open before it was soon covered by a cloud of smoke. Ariel and Bob covered themselves with their arms into a cross position. Whereas, Caroline, Jack, and Michael got flown away by the explosion. The sun glared through a curtain of dust. Large boots stomped as a tall man with a buzzcut appeared. Instantly, Bob ran behind a shelf.