Chapter Forty-Four . . . Who's To Blame?

Cat's POV

The air was cold and I began shaking as the beeping sound woke me awake from my peaceful slumber.

I was having another dream about Gavin . . . Less sexual, but still a dream where he purposed to me and we were one big happy family.

But that damn alarm clock woke me up.

I opened my eyes a crack to find that I wasn't in my bedroom, but surrounded by the white walls that I had seen a little over a month ago.

Why was I here?

I looked to my left and saw my doctor smiling at me creepily.

"Hello Miss Daniels, how are you feeling?"

My back was sore and my stomach felt like I was suffering from a bad menstrual cramp.

"What am I doing here?" I croaked.

She smiled sadly at me.

"What was the last thing you remember?"

I though back and my mind was coming to a blank until the thoughts of the tense car ride hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Please don't tell me you're another dream." I whispered.

"I'm not." He told me.

"Then I have something to tell you."

"Wot is it?" He asked.

I opened my eyes and saw that he was staring at me worriedly.

"You're an asshole."

I came back to reality.

"Asshole!" I whispered.

"Excuse me?" The doctor asked with a worried expression.

"I remember it all. What happened? Is my baby . . ." I trailed off as I couldn't bring the last word to form in my mouth.

"No, your baby is fine."

I sighed in relief against my pillows.

"For now." She added causing my body to tense.

I wish the doctor didn't play mind games.

"You have suffered from a severe kidney infection. So severe that it caused you to bleed like that. We have you on a blood transfusion given by your mother."

My mother? She must be talking about Griffon.

"We have you on some anti-biotics, but the first twenty-four hours is critical for your baby. Luckily, you've been here for at least twelve without any problems."

"Okay, so what's the next step?" I asked anxiously.

"We wait for twelve more hours, and if everything is fine you are free to leave."

"Thank you so much."

She nodded with a smile.

"I'm going to come back here in a couple of minutes with the ultra-sound machine to check on the baby, and I see that you are to the twelve week marking. Would you like to know the sex of your baby?"

I felt the smile that formed on my face.

"I would love to know."

She chuckled.

"Would you like to discuss this with the baby's father?" She said and pointed to my left side.

I followed her finger and saw Gavin sitting in a chair with his head laying on my bed, holding my hand, that I didn't even notice until now.