Chapter Twelve

Double update today, folks! Please read chapters 12 AND 13! XOXOXO, Rebecca

****

"Don't move," Adam instructed, leaping down to my feet and grabbing my ankle. His touch was warm, and I was aware that it was a strangely intimate thing to do, especially in front of Kieren. "Breathe and count to three."

"Why?" I asked, the sting of the protruding glass finally hitting my cerebral cortex and making me flinch.

"One two three," Adam said in a single gulp, and then he yanked the glass out, which hurt worse than when he'd sliced my wrist open to make my scars.

I almost shouted out another F-bomb, but Kieren was there to collect me as I started to waver. "You all right?" he asked.

"Fine."

But Kieren wasn't listening to the answer. He was just glaring at Adam, who stood to meet him. And though Adam was a few inches shorter, the way he puffed out his chest made him seem like the more menacing presence.

Still, a look passed over Adam's eyes—a decision, really—that he was going to be civil. He offered his hand to Kieren with a smile that was maybe trying a bit too hard. "Kieren, good to see you, man."

But even I knew that it would be a cold day in hell before Kieren shook that hand, so I distracted myself with picking up the broken pieces of rainbow-colored glass at my feet. "I'm going in," I said to whoever might be listening. "It's cold out here."

"Right," Adam conceded when Kieren just stared at the proffered hand. He finally dropped it and placed his warm palm on my back instead. "Marina, let's get you inside, okay?"

"She doesn't need your help to walk, dude," Kieren said, all but pushing Adam aside so he could lead me up the stoop to my front door.

"Marina," Adam said from the base of the steps. He wasn't moving toward me, or making any effort to stop Kieren. He knew he didn't have to. He knew his voice would be enough.

Bastard.

I sighed heavily. I had been waiting for this moment for over a year, and now that it was here, it just felt overwhelming. Was he even real? Was I imagining this, as I had a million times before? Every time I thought I had stopped waiting for him, his eyes would flood my thoughts again.

Now those eyes were real, more beautiful than I even remembered—green oceans reflected against his tan skin.

I cleared my throat. "Kieren," I said softly. "I'll call you in the morning."

"Don't," Kieren whispered fiercely by my side. "You don't owe him anything."

But I placed a calming hand on Kieren's long forearm. My decision was made, and there was no point in denying it. "It's okay," I whispered.

Kieren just shook his head, disappointed in me. Angry. But what could I do about that now?

Adam stepped up slowly, confidently, to take Kieren's place by my side. He couldn't even hide the small smirk on his face, and that was probably what made Kieren snap.

"Hey, Adam," he said.

"Yeah?"

And that's when Kieren drew back his right hook and punched Adam's smug face as hard as he could—which was saying a lot considering Kieren's arm was the length of a baseball bat. It was a bit of a sucker punch, to be honest. And though I knew nothing of men or fighting, I had to admit that it wasn't fair to blindside someone like that.

"Damn it, Kieren," I screamed.

Adam was rubbing his cheek furiously, his back instinctively flexing into a wrestler's stance. "Motherfu—"