At the Edge of the End

Comenzar desde el principio

"This might just be the hardest thing we've ever done," I said slowly. "Which is quite a feat considering all the bullshit we've already had to deal with."

Ridley nodded. "You're right. Before we at least had some idea of what we were up against. There's an obvious reason why there's no known records of the Bone King's lands..."

Annette swallowed hard. "Because the people that go there don't come back."

"Precisely," I confirmed with a nod. "Ridley and I have already researched as much as we could, which means we have no choice but to go in practically blind."

"Position wise, Vandel and I will lead since I've killed Bone Monsters before and Vandel is powerful enough to cover me with his magic," Ridley began. "We'll have a combination of demons and humans flanking us, the humans providing physical strength and the demons using magic. Since the Bone Monsters' size depend on their distance from their source, I assume the Bone King will get as close as possible so he can attack us with everything he's got. When that happens, I'll fend off the monster while Vandel attacks the Bone King directly."

Annette furrowed her brow. "And...what should I do?"

Ridley and I exchanged a glance before I turned to face her. "You should stay behind."

Annette's mouth tightened into a hard line, her tone sharp when she spoke, "And why should I do that? Do you think I'd just get in your way? Ridley, surely you can't agree with him?" She looked desperately to Ridley who awkwardly lowered his gaze. Annette's lower lip quivered. "I know I'm not a trained fighter, but that doesn't mean--"

"Your Majesty," I said, cutting her off. "This isn't because you're inessential. In fact, it's the opposite." I took a deep breath. "I've been alive for a long time, Annette. I've seen the previous human rulers and you're the first one I think could actually do some good. This world is fucked up beyond belief and to fix it we need someone brave. Someone just. Someone who genuinely wants to protect people." I reached out, a little more awkwardly than I would have liked, and laid I hand on her shoulder. "We can't risk losing you."

Annette was staring at me, wide-eyed. "You really believe that?"

"More than anything," I stated firmly.

The princess gave me a soft smile. "You're a good man, Vandel. You know that, right?"

"Ewwwww, stop, stop, STOP! That was not an invitation to get all mushy on me!"

Ridley flashed her a smile. "See, he really is a big softy at heart."

"I swear I'm going to murder BOTH of you! Fucking, humans."

Annette and Ridley immediately exchanged a glance. I froze in horror, realizing with a start the joke I had just walked myself into.

Annette got to it first (which was probably a good thing since Ridley would have butchered it).

"Well at least one of us is--"

"Okay, ENOUGH!"

Ridley

We had spent the day training our men to fight side by side, preparing for a battle that might doom us all. Clearly there had been initial resistance. Despite all odds however, both sides fought surprisingly well together, more so than any of us could have anticipated.

We decided we'd ride for the east at dawn. In the meantime, the humans had set up camp in the neutral territory just beyond the castle walls. The trust between the humans and demons had grown over the course of the day, but still, we weren't naive enough to believe the humans would ever sleep in the demon palace.

With one more night left together before throwing ourselves back into horrible danger, Vandel and I decided to make the most of it.

Our bodies were tangled together, Vandel's hands fisting desperately at the silken sheets draping off the bed. The demon prince was shuddering beneath me at every movement, his body flushed and his hair tousled, damp with sweat. As always, I was completely consumed by him.

I rolled my hips forward in one particularly calculated movement that wrought a series of desperate sounds from Vandel. He buried his head against my shoulder, whimpering against me, "Ridley, you...you shouldn't go."

Amidst the thick haze of pleasure, all I could muster was a small, "What?"

"To the Bone King...I...I don't want you to go..." Vandel gasped between hitched breaths.

"I have to. You know that." I pulled him closer, quickening my pace causing him to practically weep against my shoulder.

"I know. I just...fuck...I can't...I can't stand losing you again." The words came out raw and helpless.

"We're always in danger. We'll get through this, I promise."

"We've gotten lucky...that's true," Vandel replied, his voice trembling. "But I...I have a horrible feeling that our luck is about to run out. What if...what if this is the last time, Ridley? What if this really is the end?"

"If that's the case," I said, pressing one hand against Vandel's burning skin, feeling the thundering of his heart beneath my fingers, "I'll always be here. You'll never lose me. I promise."

"I hate loving you," Vandel whispered between heady breaths, his voice wrecked. "Why does it always have to be so fucking painful?"