The Princess in the Dungeons

Author's Note: Thank you so much to @whblackonblack on IG for this beautiful art of Vandel

Author's Note: Thank you so much to @whblackonblack on IG for this beautiful art of Vandel. He looks so pretty here! Also, I absolutely love the flower crown!!!

Annette

My life was falling apart. It was like everything I once was and understood was slipping through my fingers like sand. I now sat in a cell, my back pressed up against the wall, as I tried my best to keep from breaking down into tears once more.

"Excuse me, princess," the voice of a guard suddenly said, ripping me from my thoughts. "There's a visitor here to see you." Slowly I lifted my head and my eyes widened in shock to see Ridley standing before my cell.

"Ridley," I stammered, "what are you doing here?"

The knight bowed his head. "I convinced them to let me see you for a few minutes. It was easy for me to sneak away since everyone is so busy with preparations for Stefan's coronation."

My stomach twisted at the words. "They're already getting ready to crown him?"

Ridley swallowed hard. "Yes...the kingdom needs a ruler." His gaze darted to the ground. "It should be you."

I let out a low, shaky breath. "Thank you for trying to protect me during the trial. I thought at least Percival or my brother would try to defend me but...I was wrong."

"He told me he loved you," Ridley said softly. "I don't know why he just stood there and did nothing."

I shook my head. "I think he was in love with the idea of being in love with me." I sighed heavily, leaning my head back against the cold stone of the wall. "What a sad way to die, being the princess of the kingdom and only having one person care enough about you to come to your defense." I let my eyes flutter shut for a moment. "Maybe it's a good thing my brother is going to be king. Everyone seems to actually like Stefan."

Ridley moved quickly to the bars now, his fingers wrapping around them. "I'm not going to let you die Annette," he said, lowering his voice. "Actually, that's why I came here."

My eyes widened, approaching the bars from my side of the cell. "What do you mean?"

"I'm going to prove you innocent...or at least get you out of here," he whispered. "Can you remember anything before the king's murder that might account for the blank points in your memory?"

I tried to think back for something new, something I might have missed. I seemed to be sorting through these damn memories almost every waking moment, trying to find a single discrepancy that could explain how such a horrible thing could happen.

"I don't know Ridley," I finally said. "Everything was completely normal until the feast. I woke up, dealt with some state affairs, took tea with Stefan before he left, got dressed for the feast and then..." I looked down at my hands. "It didn't seem helpful to add during the trial but there's a small piece of my memory missing from the beginning of the feast as well. After that I remember talking with you and Percy, going to stay with my father after he was poisoned and then opening my eyes and finding myself covered in blood."