An Unlikely Pair

Author's Note: I love this art of Ridley and Vandel by @dorkii_stuff on IG so much!!!  I always adore their art style and they both look so adorable here

Author's Note: I love this art of Ridley and Vandel by @dorkii_stuff on IG so much!!!  I always adore their art style and they both look so adorable here. I especially like the fact that it looks like Vandel's just said something that's pissed Ridley off. Thank you so much to everyone thats sent me fanart. It's all incredible!

Annette

Everything was dark. I tried my best to calm my nerves, trying to focus on my breathing and the rhythmic creak of the wheels beneath me. Suddenly I felt everything screech to a halt. My heart almost immediately began to pound frantically in my chest, my stomach turning to ice water. Had we been caught? Had Stefan sent soldiers to stop us? That's when a gentle voice cut through the wave of doubts and fear that was building up in my head.

"Princess, it's safe to come out now." I felt a hand grab mine and suddenly I was being pulled out of the darkness and into the light...into Ridley's arms.

The knight looked me over now, relief coming over his features. "Oh thank goodness," he said softly. "I was worried you might have gotten hurt after being stuck under a pile of hay in a bumpy cart for so long."

I shook my head, brushing some of the hay from my hair. "Trust me, I definitely prefer it to being burned at a stake."

Ridley gestured to a small stone cottage in front of us. "Alright, I know it isn't much but this is a secret weapon post for the royal guard. We keep some back up ammunition here in case we ever lose access to the castle and armory during an attack. It's far away from the outskirts of the city." He smiled kindly. "As you can probably see there's not another house in sight. No one ever comes here, the knights in training are just informed about it in case of emergency. That makes it the perfect hiding spot for you. No one will ever think the 'dead' princess is actually here."

"It still amazes me that you were able to sneak me out and switch me with someone else while the guards were distracted." I looked down at my hands now. "You said the person switching with me had a way to get out safely. Was she really alright? I don't think I could ever forgive myself if something happened to her."

Ridley gave me a small nod. "Yeah, they're alright. In fact the whole plan was their idea. Oh and speak of the devil..."

And that's when I suddenly noticed a small raven zooming towards us. It kept moving forward, as if it was going to fly directly into us when suddenly right before my eyes the bird transformed into...

"YOU!" I practically screeched, my eyes growing wide.

A small smirk tugged at the corner of the demon prince Vandel's lips and he gave me a small bow. "A pleasure to see you again princess." He took a step forward, going to give my hand a small peck but I quickly yanked it away.

"Don't touch me," I snapped. I frantically looked to Ridley for help, expecting him to already have his sword out to fight our worst enemy but he was just standing there, doing nothing. "What the hell are you doing here?" I stammered. "AND WHY THE HELL ARE YOU NAKED?!?"