twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

AS THE WEEKS WENT BY ONCE AGAIN, Diana found herself becoming used to the new routine in her life, even fond of it

AS THE WEEKS WENT BY ONCE AGAIN, Diana found herself becoming used to the new routine in her life, even fond of it. A week of classes would pass and then eventually Sunday evening would arrive. The two of them, Diana and Remus, seemed to work in perfect harmony. Grading papers, planning lessons. Moving perfectly in sync like they were performing some beautiful dance.

She'd enter his room, always perfectly on time and slip off her coat and throw her bag to the floor. He'd watch in amusement as she made herself at home. As they worked they'd talk about anything and everything. He'd tell her about his life, where'd he been, what jobs he'd had. Diana would be in awe at his stories and learning about a way of life she'd never been able to experience. She would tell him stories of her time at Hogwarts and things that happened during the week prior to their meeting. He'd listen and react often with surprise. It was strange having an insight into the real lives of the students, especially all the Hogwarts gossip. Not to mention, the two individuals despite their shared interests, still had very different lives and very different personalities. He was amazed at her confidence and wit. Remus Lupin had never met anyone like her before.

He would listen intently as she spoke, remembering every little detail she told him. He'd ask questions, make comments, and seemed genuinely interested, as if he really did care. Diana had never in her life had that before and was probably why she, uncharacteristically so, carried on talking and listening.

Then they'd speak about books. The ones they liked, the ones they didn't. Remus had read way more books than Diana, so he'd always make a recommendation that Diana would take note of and try and find on one of her trips to Hogsmeade. They'd bicker and debate over their opinions, or sometimes agree, though it was enthralling all the same.

Their sessions had become Diana's favourite part of the week and she found herself longing for the weekend when she could be there again. Sitting by the warmth of the fireplace, drinking tea and nibbling on chocolate.

It went without saying that at first she had tried to deny it. Deny the fact she enjoyed their evenings, his company, and just him as a person. She had wanted to stop her enjoyment, her happiness, her warmth, and force things to go back to the way they use to be but she couldn't and now she no longer wanted to.

Diana thought there was nothing that could ruin her good mood...

But she was wrong.

When she entered the Slytherin Common Room that evening, she was surprised to find almost everyone in there glancing over to her. They'd look at her sheepishly, or out of the corner of their eyes, almost like they were analysing her, before they'd turn back to their friends and gossip in hushed whispers.

She didn't know why there were all looking at her. She thought maybe she had something on her face but a quick glance in the mirror confirmed she didn't, so she carried on up to her dorm where inside Olivia sat awkwardly on the bed. "Oh, you're here." She chimed nervously, shuffling around atop the blankets.