Chp. 72

~ ~ ~ ~ SAM’S POV ~ ~ ~ ~

The next morning came quickly as I smelt coffee brewing in the kitchen, figuring Shawn was probably up typing away on his laptop. He was always the early bird, and I was simply not.

My thoughts wandered back to last night and I recalled the fact that I had burned down someone’s house and gotten him most likely life in prison. Really it didn’t feel real, like it had all been this twisted dream but deep down in my heart I knew I had done something pretty terrible. Although I actually didn’t feel bad all, most likely because I was partially insane, but I felt absolutely no sympathy towards the man that had attempted at controlling and ruining my life.

I believed he deserved it, honestly.

He had stalked me, he had threatened my only means of happiness, and maybe that’s why I had no sympathy. How could someone do that? It was inhumane, the whole ordeal with Robert was immoral but I knew I had finally won.

I had beaten him at his own game and now he was probably sitting in a jail cell while his house stood in a pile of ash…

And it was all because of me.

I wasn’t proud of what I had done but I was relieved that I had done it. It felt good to breathe again knowing that I had absolutely nothing to worry about anymore. Megan was safe and I was safe to attempt to mend our relationship.

Which reminded me, Shawn was still in the dark about the entire situation and had no idea what the hell was going on.

I figured Megan had to have told him something, at least that we had a fight or I had cheated on her or told her I didn’t love her. Megan had to give in at least a little bit, unlike me who had been avoiding absolutely everyone for the last week and a half.

But everything was okay now.

I pulled myself out of bed because I knew I would have to explain the truth to Shawn somehow, but I wouldn’t be able to do that without telling him the absolute truth about Robert. Thinking about him made me cringe but I knew everything was safe now, even if I had committed a crime.

I walked out of my room and joined Shawn in the kitchen, seeing him look up for his laptop and at me, “You were home early last night.”

I nodded, “Party wasn’t my thing.”

Sure Sam, wanna talk?”

I looked at him, shrugging, “Not really, but I guess you deserve to know the truth...”

His blue eyes studied me intensely, as if he was trying to decipher how to go about whatever the hell he was about to ask me. I glanced at the clock behind him as I sipped my coffee, noticing I had gotten up before noon which was insanely weird.