ice cream

i'm pretty busy at the moment and will be for the foreseeable future so i'm sorry if i take a long time to publish your request! this one was a request from -lovelysupernova! i hope you enjoy! <3

"hey y/n, you ready to go?" schlatt called out from the front door while you were slipping on your shoes in the bedroom.

"just a minute!" you yelled. in all actuality, you were taking as much time as you possibly could. today marked the fourth time you and schlatt had gone out driving during the week. you had never gotten your license, but decided that now would be the perfect time to work on it. you currently had your permit, but wanted more practice before taking the actual test.

you knew the practice only helped you, but you couldn't help but not want to do it to avoid the anxiety you got when you were behind the wheel.

"stop stalling, hon. i know you don't want to do this, but practice makes perfect!" schlatt spoke as you heard his voice getting closer and closer before seeing the brunette pop in through the door. he smiled at you. "i know your shoes don't take that long to put on," he said with a smirk.

you sighed in defeat and stood up. "let's get this over with." you hooked your arm around schlatt's and the two of you made your way through the hallway and out the front door, not before grabbing the keys laying on the kitchen counter.

schlatt slid into the passenger's seat as you hesitantly got in on the driver's side and started the key. you got comfortable with a heavy sigh and put on your seatbelt.

"i know how worked up you get behind the wheel, but the more you practice, the quicker that'll go away," schlatt looked at you with knowing eyes.

"fine," you mumbled as you played with the radio for a moment. "where do i need to go?" you looked back over to the brunette beside you.

"how about you take us to that new bookstore downtown? i'd say we've read literally everything in our house at this point," he suggested with a smile.

"sounds good," you nodded as you nervously pulled out of the parking spot you were in and made your way to the main road.

so far, the drive consisted of you becoming more and more anxious the longer you were driving. schlatt noticed this almost immediately.

"y/n, it's alright," he softly spoke. your eyes widened as they stayed glued to the road, afraid to look away for even a split second. "you're doing really well, i'm proud of you, hon."

you smiled as you looked over at schlatt for a brief moment before the light you were sitting at turned green.

as you were continuing forward, a random car coming from the left and going to the right of you decided to play riskily and sped up to try and get across before you drove past. you didn't notice it until schlatt yelled loudly. "Y/N PUMP THE BRAKES!"

your heart stopped as your foot slammed on the brakes, bringing the car to a halt and throwing the two of you forward a bit. the person driving the car that almost hit you drove by with a small wave and an apologetic smile as if nothing had really happened. schlatt angrily responded by flipping them off. your whole body shook as a cold sweat enveloped it.

"are you okay?" a slightly-worried schlatt asked you as you accelerated forward.

"y-yeah," you stuttered, your heart racing a bit.

"do you need to pull over for a minute?" he asked, the same worried tone evident in his voice.

you nodded as you dryly swallowed the lump in your throat. you quickly switched into the other lane and pulled off the side of the road. after stopping, you let out a large sigh.

you closed your eyes, trying to get your heart to stop pounding in your chest. you felt a calming hand on your thigh as schlatt spoke.

"are you alright?" you heard him ask, a hint of concern laden in his voice.

"yeah, just a little shaken up, that's all," you responded as you opened your eyes and gave him a reassuring smile.

"that's the thing about driving," he began with a light chuckle. "you have to deal with tons and tons of absolute idiots," schlatt looked over to you with a small smile. you returned one quickly.

"do you want me to drive for awhile?" he asked as he placed his hand on top of yours.

"is that even a question you have to ask me?" you said with a giggle.

"yeah that was really stupid, i don't even know why i asked," schlatt laughed as he opened his door and slipped out, you doing the same and walking over to the passenger's side. the two of you got in and sat in silence for a moment before schlatt started the car again.

"how about instead of the bookstore today, we go get some ice cream? i think that's a nice, relaxing activity and plus, i want to treat you for how well you've been doing on the road," he suggested with a slightly-cheesy grin.

"ice cream sounds absolutely amazing right now," you replied with a big smile. schlatt lightly exhaled out of his nose as he shifted into the correct gear and pulled back onto the main road.

the next little bit of the ride was silent, just the two of you listening to the soft music playing on the radio and enjoying the time you were spending with each other.

out of the blue, schlatt spoke up as he flicked on his turn signal.

"hey y/n?"

"yeah?" you looked over at schlatt with anticipating eyes.

"i love you a lot," he said with a smile.

"i love you too, j," you smiled as you took his hand that was resting on the gear shift in yours.

huge grins grew on both of your faces as schlatt pulled into the small parking lot of your favorite ice cream shop.

the two of you walked into the small shop, hand in hand, each thinking of what flavor you were going to get.

"you wanna go grab us a table and i'll order?" schlatt asked as he turned to face you.

"yeah, that's fine," you said as you began walking to a table, not thinking that you hadn't told him what you wanted.

you quickly realized this and turned back around. "just get me whatever you're getting," you said with a smile before turning back around and finding a small booth to claim for awhile.

you studied the numerous decorations around the interior of the building as you waited on schlatt to sit down with you. the light-colored atmosphere along with the retro vibe brought a small smile to your face.

you were snapped out of your thoughts when a certain brunette sat down in front of you with two cups of chocolate ice cream in front of you.

"jesus christ, how many toppings did you get?" you giggled as you looked at the mountain of toppings piled on top of your ice cream.

"a lot," he said with a mouth full of ice cream. you giggled before taking a bite of yours.

after the two of you were done with your ice cream, you made your way out of the shop and back to the car.

"can we go on more ice cream dates? that was really nice," schlatt asked with a sheepish smile as he took your hand in his.

"absolutely," you responded. "except without the almost getting into an accident," you laughed.

schlatt laughed as well. "definitely without that."

wc: 1305