Chapter 22: The End of Something

Start from the beginning

"Your father is ready to give the eulogy, children." Pogo told them as Reginald made his way between Pogo and Grace.

"The world is full of injustice. Good people die along with the bad. This cosmic equation will never change unless evoke itself is wiped from existence. Thankfully, there are powerful forces pushing back against the wicked and iniquitous, individuals who have the strength to pull together."

Reginald went on as Allison and Luther glanced at each other. Klaus and Vanya looked at the coffin with tears streaming down their faces while Esme and Diego were thinking the same thing.

'What kind of eulogy is this"

"Unfortunately, none of you are such people. Despite years of training and weeks of preparation, you allowed Number Six to die on this mission."

Diego gripped his arm tighter around Esme as he felt anger build up in him, looking at his so called father.

"It wasn't our fault." Allison spoke out.

"I-I tried to help him but he pushed me out of the room and blocked the door." Esme could feel tears building in her eyes as she recalled what happened that day.

"Excuses? Especially you Number Zero. You should know better." Reginald looked from Allison to her who coward into Diego slightly.

"The Umbrella Academy has failed one of their own, the consequences of which are dire. Hold onto this feeling, children. Let it fester into your hearts...so there is never a next time. Training will be canceled today out of respect for your brother. We resume tomorrow at 6 am."

With that Reginald left, with Grace and Pogo following after him, leaving the siblings there.  After a moment of silence, Vanya was the first to speak up.

"It wasn't anybody's fault."

"How would you know, Vanya?  You weren't even on the mission."  Diego looked at her.

Vanya stared at him then glanced to Esme before hurrying off back inside.

"Nice going, asshole."  Luther told Diego.

"What?  We were all thinking it."  Diego defended himself, letting go of Esme as she kneeled down at the coffin and gently ran her pale hand over the picture of Ben.

"Oh, so you're thinking, Diego?  That's a first."  Allison fired back.

"Screw you!"  Diego told her angrily before heading back inside.

He didn't even bother to ask if Esme wanted to come back, he was just filled with hate at this point.

"Hey!"  Luther called, making his way after him with Allison following.

"Dad was right.  We should've done more.  This didn't have to happen."

Klaus stayed where he was looking at the coffin and his sister.

"Do not stand at my grave and weep.  I am not there."  Esme spoke out loud, no tears in sight, just a faint smile.

"It's a poem.  I've been saying it a lot since that day."  She stood back up as the snow gently scattered on her hair.

Esme made her way over to Klaus where she gently rubbed his arm with her hand.  "At least he's at peace now."  She spoke and Klaus looked down at his sister who gave him one last look before making her way inside, still saying the poem out-loud.

"I do not sleep. 
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow..."

Now