Chapter 4: Run Boy Run

Ben was sitting with Esme on her bed as the two were messing around a bit before breakfast started

"No fair."  Ben groaned as Esme slapped his hands again.

"Come on.  You have to move faster than that."  Esme smiled as her hands were under his again and she went to whack them and he pulled away.

"Boo."  She laughed as he smiled to her.

"Good. Give my hands a break. They're red."  He looked at his hands.

"Sorry Ben."  She apologized as they heard the bell being rung.

"Come on."  He told her as the two quickly made their way downstairs and stood behind their chair.

Reginald came walking in and pulled his chair back, looking at his children.

"Sit." 

They all moved their chairs and took their seats as they started to eat.

Esme handed Ben his napkin as he was looking for it and she just smiled innocently as he grabbed it from her, smiling softly.

Esme took a sip out of her cup as she looked up seeing Five looking at her and he smiled to her and she smiled back.

She than took a bite out of her waffle while Ben started to read his book. The sound of a knife being placed in the table made everyone stop and turn their heads to the noise.

Esme looked at Five Who was the source of the noise and saw him looking at their father.

"Number Five?"  Reginald asked.

"I have a question."  He looked to him.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules.  No talking during meal times. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."  Their father told him waving his knife in the air a bit.

"I want to time travel."  Five gave him a look.

"No."

"Five.  Please stop."  Esme begged as Five looked to her than scooted out of his chair standing up and looking at Reginald.

"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just you said."

He quickly transported over to him.

"See?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with unknowns of time travel.  One is like sliding on the ice. The other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn."

"Well, I don't get it."  Five murmured under his breath.

"Hence the reason you're not ready."  He took a sip of his drink and placed it down.