Chapter 1: The News

Esme walked gracefully over her wooden floor as she sipped the tea from her mug

Esme walked gracefully over her wooden floor as she sipped the tea from her mug.  She set it down on the table as she turned back to her canvas and held the paintbrush in her hand.

She looked outside her window for a second and watched the rain fall down, listening as it hit the window a bit.

She moved her head to the side and took a deep, closing her eyes and listened to the sound of the rain and the tv. Her hand slowly went up to the canvas as she started to paint.

Her eyes moved quickly under her eye lids as her hand moved quickly across the canvas and she suddenly stopped, opening her eyelids.

The canvas was surrounded in black painting and there were a set of red eyes in the middle of it.

She took a deep breath and quickly threw the sheet over it.

"Not real. Not real." She whispered to herself as she took her cup of tea and sipped from it.

"Reginald Hargreeves has been pronounced dead."

Esme turned her head to the tv as she looked at the screen.  The news reporter explaining how 'this great man' was no longer. 

She continued to look at the screen as she sipped from her tea once more.

"Well that's a shame."  She spoke with a monotone voice before turning it off.

~~~

Esme gently pushed the door open and she stepped inside her old home.  She looked around as it looked the same as the day she left.

"Hello?"  She called out as she walked further in the building.

"Ms. Esme." Pogo appeared and she smiled softly to him.

"Hi Pogo." She spoke softly and made her way towards him, hugging him gently.

"Wish it was on a better occasion." Pogo commented as they pulled away.

"It's alright." She shrugged.

"Is anyone else here?" She questioned and he shook his head.

"No. You're the first to arrive."

She nodded her head and began to walk away.

"I'm going to find mom." She told him as she looked in different rooms trying to find her, when she saw her sitting in front of a fireplace.

"Mom." She walked up to her as Grace turned her head towards her.

"Esme." She smiled gently at her.

"Hey mom." She smiled and kneeled down, placing her cold hand on hers gently.

"Oh Esme dear. Your hands are cold. Didn't I tell you to wear your gloves?" She questioned.

"Yeah. You did. They're always cold." She nodded her head to her as Grace smiled again.

"You should get your gloves sweetheart."

Esme nodded slowly and stood back up.

"Okay Mom." She tried to smile but failed. She then headed out of the room and made her way down the hall.

"Esme."

She turned around hearing the voice, but nothing was there. She took a deep breath and made her way outside where she saw Bens statue.

She sat on the bench close to his statue and looked at it as she felt herself start to zone out.

"Esme."

She heard the voice once more than let everything else consume her.

1 hour later

"Diego." Allison crossed her arms over her chest as he looked to his sister.

"Allison." He gave her a small nod.

"Who else is here?" He questioned as she rolled her eyes at him.

"Why want to leave?" He groaned at her statement.

"No Allison."

"Luther and Esme." She answered his question as he nodded.

"Where's Esme?" He asked her.

Diego was closest with Esme and out of everyone she suffered the worst when it came to their father doing things to them that would make them a better fighter.

"Outside. Near Bens statue." Allison spoke softly and made her way upstairs.

Diego stood their for a moment before walking outside where he saw Esme looking at the statue.

"Esme." He spoke gently to her as she didn't move.

He kneeled down in front of her where her eyes stayed glued on the statue.

"Esme."  He spoke again as she blinked and let out a sigh.

He gently cupped her cheek with one hand as he continued to look at her and he closed his eyes before pulling away.

He stood back up and started to head back in the house, opening the door and walked inside.