He exhaled tiredly. "It has nothing to do with you."

Li Lian did not respond but slid on his body, leaving soft kisses on his neck. She made a trail of them and the last one was more of a playful bite. Licking him was now a new pleasure of hers. She tongued on the beat of his pulse, obsessed with the rhythmic ticking it made.

She was curious to see how much he would refuse before he went on his knees for her. His body was already stiff, alongside with his part between her legs. 

"I want to be empress, Yuwen Hong. I really want it."

His hands went on her waist and stilled her. 

"My love, I had to choose what is right for the nation. This decision did not concern my relationship with you. This was about the nation and what it needs. As an emperor, I can not be emotional and make personal decisions."

"So I am not right for you as the emperor? I am just right for your lustful desires and nothing else?"

"That is twisted, Li Lian."

She shrugged and ran her hands on his chest. He winced at that, and that is when she realised she had found his weakness. 

His chest was sensitive.

"Noble Consort Qi was always a candidate before you came. She came before you and has many achievements to deserve this position. I couldn't be unfair and give it to you, or wait for you to mature when the empire has long needed a phoenix since the royal dragon fell."

"Mature?"

"She is older than both of us."

So what if she is? Is maturity based on the number of years you live on earth?

"Then why did you call me empress? Why did you lead me on and give me the hope I shouldn't have?"

He muttered some curse words. "Li Lian, it's just the position of an empress, what is the fuss about? This is childish! I feel like I am arguing with Cai Wenjin on what she can and cannot have."

That was a slap on her face for him to say that. Did he not sense it that there was a big reason why she needed to be empress?

Her life depended on it. 

But again, it was her own fault. She was not being honest with him in the first place.

She thrashed herself forward and pulled him for a deep kiss.

She missed him so much. All these weeks and they had been separated by misunderstanding. Yet, her heart missed him all along. Inside her were all the feelings. Love, hurt, and hate.

She was eating his mouth like a hungry animal, and he was rawly kissing her. It was like a habit they formed over the years because the beat they moved to and the passion between them was like a practised duo dance. He squeezed her breasts, his palms letting go and teasing her nipples. To her, he felt the same way she saw him as, hard, unyielding, and controlling. 

Yu'er. Why is our love so painful? You keep hurting me. Can't you see it? I've bled dry. Can't you see I'm breaking?

He was below her, which gave her the reigns. But still, through her he was setting the pace they should go at and to what extent they were doing what they were doing. 

He pushed her away, breathless and sweat forming on him. "And who said we can't use sex to reconcile?"

She giggled. "This is not sex."

She pushed back her bottoms to his pelvis, where she could feel him strain against his trousers. She was intoxicated by his panting, masculine heavy breathing, and his lips sexy and parted because of his lack of control. The sad reality was, this was the only place she could have a sense of leadership, not being the puppet under his will. He said the same thing too. Only there was she an equal, while everywhere else, what she thought or said did not count. Wasn't that a sad and futile ending for a woman? Because she had so much more to give than her body.