32

- Lean On Me by Bill Withers-

Denise woke up from her nap to a quiet house. She had been sleeping a lot lately due to the homecooked meals and baked goods Audrey had been making all week. The woman could throwdown and definitely didn't fit into the white people can't cook category.

Denise knew that stereotype was just as false as the belief that all black people threw down in the kitchen.

Her mother was proof that it wasn't entirely true.

Yawning, she climbed out of bed and headed downstairs.

Both Audrey and Eugene had gone to work today, leaving her and Mark alone.

Yet he didn't seem to be around - not even Rex.

By the time Denise realized that she left her phone upstairs, she was too lazy to go back up and get it. Instead, she went to the kitchen and ate one of Audrey's homemade walnut chocolate cookies with a glass of water.

She probably had eaten too many cookies but found herself not caring.

Audrey had evidently been feeling the loneliness of an empty nest, so she spoiled not only Mark but Denise too.

And Denise had no problem with it. She was quite flattered, actually. In only a week, she felt like she was apart of the family because that's how they made her feel - a part of the gang.

She might have not been cut from the same cloth as them, but that didn't matter.

Denise fit right in - especially with Samantha and Adeline.

She and Samantha bonded over dark humor, sarcasm, and the hypocrisies of the word. Simultaneously, she and Adeline shared the same issue with being strong opinionated and outspoken women. Resulting in people labeling them as aggressive or rude because of it.

Samantha's wildflower personality helped her out. But for Denise and Adeline, they were quick at the mouth, the last person you wanted to tick off, and didn't take anything lying down.

Man or woman, if the opportunity presented itself, they didn't mind kicking you off your high horse.

Just because they didn't crap from anybody, they were labeled mean, rude, angry women, and that just wasn't the case.

Both were really down to earth and meant well.

There was a stereotype about strong women, and both were learning that it was okay if not everybody liked them. Or even understood them. Sometimes it was better that way. It weeded out who was really their friend and who wasn't.

In a week, Denise had not only made two friends, but they were already calling her sister, and Mark hadn't even changed her last name yet.

Had the kids calling her aunt Denise/D and everything.

She even questioned them about it. It all seemed a bit premature.

The deal was, they trusted Mark's judgment. Denise had been in his life more than they had at this point.

He loved her, and so did they.

Until an issue arose, and hopefully, it didn't, there was no reason to treat her like a stranger.

Besides having watched all their YouTube channels, they basically knew her already.

Speaking of YouTube, they probably should upload a video soon, Denise thought. They hadn't been on social media a lot because they were hanging with family.

Speaking of family, Denise needed to call Ana sometime soon. Tell her what almost happened with Mark.

Going into the piano room, Denise smiled at the thought of what almost transpired between them a week ago.