Chapter 11: What Happened That Night

Start from the beginning

Luce raised her eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

Natasha's lips folded into a dangerously sweet smile. "I just thought you'd agree with me because you're Fairwood's resident sweetheart."

Luce shifted, visibly uncomfortable. "I mean... yeah. I guess."

"Okay, so, what's our plan about Griffin?" Taylor chimed in, rubbing lavender-scented lotion over her arms. "Do we make you guys play seven minutes in heaven?"

"Haven could put in a good word for me, considering she and Griffin are close." Natasha looked at me, a faint ghost of a smile on her lips. It almost looked challenging. "Would you do that for me, Haven?"

I swallowed before nodding. I took a long sip of my coke. It tasted flat, but it was better than the taste in my mouth.

"Why wait until then?" Taylor's eyes glimmered. "Griffin!" She called his name, waving him over. He was talking to someone, but he turned when he heard her voice.

"You are so getting some tonight," Taylor said. "You're welcome."

Natasha blushed. "That sounds so provocative."

"Well, your future boyfriend is a provocative guy."

"Boyfriend?" I said, scraping my already chipped baby blue nail polish. "Griffin doesn't date."

"Maybe he'll change for me. That would be cute," Natasha said.

Adorable.

"Hey," a voice said, greeting us. I looked up to see Griffin approaching. He had black swim shorts that hung slightly low, and his usually messy black hair was even messier. Even though he didn't play any sports, he was pretty toned.

"Hey, Keely," Luce said, smiling.

I finally looked up to see his gaze focused on me for a second too long, and I broke eye contact, my cheeks growing hot.

Taylor stole the cup from Griffin's hand and grinned, raising it to the air. "Sorry. Ladies first." She downed the little left in the cup, and he fake-protested, laughing.

The only person who didn't respond other than me was Natasha. I saw her looking down at the ground but occasionally glancing at Griffin's face.

Taylor's eyebrows raised, as they always did when she had a great idea — which might not be so great for the surrounding people.

"Um, this is a lot of talking for a pool party. Why are we not in the pool? I'm going to go swimming. Luce, Haven, let's go!" Taylor looked at us and then back at Natasha, signaling with her eyes that we should leave them alone.

"Wait, guys — "

Natasha tried to interrupt, but the three of us ditched our phones and cover-ups, running to the pool and giggling before she could say anything else. I wanted to turn back, but I didn't. We dived into the pool, and I popped up from underneath the water, my body chain dangling against my waist.

"Who wants to bet they'll hook up tonight?" Luce squealed.

I only looked up to see Griffin and Natasha talking, standing super close. From here, they almost looked like a couple. Despite the weird feeling in my stomach, I felt a smile on my face. She deserved this. After all the bad parts of high school, she deserved this more than anyone else.

"Do you think they'll go out?" I said.

Taylor shrugged. "If they do, then I'm a good matchmaker. And if they don't... well, it'll still be a little funny."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"She gets so nervous when she talks to guys. I can just imagine her stumbling over her words, trying to flirt with Griffin." She giggled. "She's a social wreck."