•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Thirty-Eight•••

Start from the beginning

Ruqayyah chuckled and decided to divert the topic.

- you look handsome today.

- haven't I always being handsome? or have you been too blinded by my love to notice? I also can't wait to see you, could you please step down from the car?

Ruqayyah peeped through the tinted window, and saw Aliyu already leaning by the car with his ducked low and focused on his phone screen.

- not when you are outside, this is your in-laws place. Not a place for public display of affection.

- that will even make them give me you without any hesitation.

- you wish!

She offer her data and watched as her cousin led them in, before they also came down and left to the other side of the house, where they'd meet Zainaba, and the other wives of their uncle.

••• ••• •••

Friday, 8th July, 2016.

That day, the Musa residence was gloom, nothing seemed to be appealing, even the rain that poured that morning had something melancholic lingering in it, maybe it's in the sound it gives when it hits the roof, or in the tiny holes it digs when it beats the ground.
But, something was wilted and ebbing from the house.

In the room Ruqayyah shares with her sister were three tear stricken faces. Especially Ruqayyah's whose whole melanin turned to a cherry pigment from the cries of the previous night amalgamated with the ones of the day.

Her fate was changed within twenty-four hours, and it was drastically changed. The bubbly Ruqayyah was gradually dying and a solemn one awakening.

Even Malam Musa, she's a few tears before choosing the decision that was just beginning to ruin his firm house.
In a few minutes time, his daughter will start bearing the title of a missus and that too, not to a man she loves, but a man that wanted her as a compensation.

"I'm sorry." Were what her father said to her the moment she entered his room the previous night.

"I chose my reputation over you, my daughter."

And before he could finish saying what he wanted to she cut him short.

"Baba naji komai. I heard everything." She felt sober for her father. "I eavesdropped you that day."

"I'm sorry Ruqayyah. I choose to give him you." He said using his right thumb and index finger to squeeze his eyes. "Tomorrow is the Fatiha." He had said.

And now few minutes left to the Fatiha. That wasn't how she imagined her wedding to be like. That wasn't how.

"The groom and his waliyy are here, the imam too is here. Please you all should get ready, he'd wait until after Friday prayers and he will leave with her; the bride." Malam Musa peeped and announced to the trio.

Zainaba only nodded her head and didn't bother replying. She quietly left the room and took some bathing water to the bathroom for Ruqayyah.

"Go and take a bath." She said.

"Okay." Her voice crooked. It was rather more masculine than feminine.

"Zubaida stop the cry. It's enough."  Zainaba persuaded.
But Zubaida didn't stopped, she woke up in the morning and saw her mother and sister crying, she also joined them not knowing the reason behind it. And it worsened when she realized the reason, but now her cries were because her sister is getting married and will be living the house. After all, that's the tradition right? She thought. Brides cry before they are conveyed to their new homes, that's why she's also crying.

••• ••• •••

The Fatiha took place with only six people apart from the imam. They were only the groom, his waliyy, Malam Musa, his brother whose role was the bride's waliyy, and two of his neighbors. Trusted neighbors.

Immediately after the Friday prayers, Adam demanded Ruqayyah should live with him instantly.

After so much hugs and endless cries, Malam Musa peeled her body from Zainab's and Zubaida's and gave her to Adam who forcefully dragged and pushed her to the car. It was still raining and they were no people outside to witness it.

Ruqayyah's last words to her father had haunted him since then.

"Maybe next time, you choose your daughter over your reputation instead."
•~•~•~