Chapter twenty one

Annabeths pov: in the animal truck

I woke slowly, blinking off sleep to hear some loud voices outside.

"COMING EDDIE" someone yelled from the outside.

"Hide!" Hissed Eva, who apparently was already awake. I shook Percy and Mark awake and I quickly put my yankees cap on.

"Hide." Hissed Eva again, grabbing Percy and Marks arms and somehow- folding themselves in the shadows of the bus. I couldn't see them at all, they were completely hidden.

Two men climbed inside the bus, both around nineteen with a face full of pimples and greasy hair.

One of them carried a bucket filled with water, and he filled the water bowls with fresh water. The rest, he threw at the lions face, who roared in indignation.

"Having fun boys?" One of them crowed loudly and all the animals winced. I felt terrible for them- we had to do something!

And the opportunity came. The men both went outside yelling about something, and I took off my cap.

"We have to do something!" I hissed, seemingly into the empty air, but apparently they heard me because I suddenly could see the three of them again.

Mark was nodding furiously, Eva had a steely look in her eyes that meant yes and Percy was listening intently to something. He gasped.

"The zebra says their animal smugglers!" Percy exclaimed, and I soon figured it must be true. This surely wasn't legal.

"Let's free them" said Eva decisively, already moving to cut off the locks on the cages.

"But-" I was cut off by Marks and Percys agreement. As usual, they completely ignored the voice of reason , (me). The zebra was the first to be released, then the antelope, and as the commotion drew the men back to the bus, the lion leaped out roaring loudly. Everyone around screamed loudly, and most people took out their phones to film it, probably thinking it was a show from one of the casinos around.

As soon as the animals ran off, we all jumped off the bus as well, hitting the floor with a thud. Soon we would be at the underworld.

Hooray.

****

Evas pov: wandering around

We had been walking around for what seemed like hours, the dry crackling air blistering my skin.

"Ugh" Mark groaned loudly, for the 100000 time today. "Are we there yet....."

"No." I answered shortly, slightly annoyed.

As soon as I said that we ran straight into the 'Lotus Hotel and Casino' which meant we must've taken a wrong turn, but I couldn't bring myself to care all that much, especially since the doorman came up to us and said

"Hey kids. Are you ok?"

I nodded quickly (which wasn't very convincing since we were absolutely filthy and looking like we hadn't had a shower in days, which was true).

He gave us a grin. "Want to come in and rest for a while?" He asked kindly. I couldn't bring myself to nod again, especially since this could be a potential trap to get us killed, but Mark did it for me.

"Yes please if-" he was cut off by the doorman ushering us in quickly.

My mouth fell open. "Gods..." I muttered in awe.

The whole lobby was a giant game room, like a game room -game room.

There were thousands of games, lined up against the walls, and a huge waterslide went spiralling down through half the room, snaking around a glass lift that went up for Zeus knows how many floors, and you could just see a huge tv, that went all across the side of the wall.

"Hey!" A smiling man walked up to us and handed us each a key. "Here's the key to your room!" He said with a smile.

Percy stammered out "but we... um.."

He just laughed. "No worries, the bills taken care of. No extra charges, and no tips. Enjoy your stay!"

We all just gawked at the man on astonishment.

I cleared my throat "We-"

The man cut me off with "oh! And I almost forgot. Here are your Lotus Cash cards. And if you need anything, don't hesitate to wave me over, or call the front desk!"

With that, he turned in his heels and walked straight back through the crowd, weaving through it with ease.

"Um." I stared at the retreating figure of the man. "Shall we check out the room?" I asked doubtfully. Everyone else just shrugged, so I decided that we would.

When we got up to the room I just stared in shock.

It was a suite, with four separate bedrooms, which each had a bathroom to themselves, and a bar, stocked with all my favourite sweets, snacks and crisps as well as different drinks, fruity ones, hot drinks, cold drinks, fizzy drinks and many more. There was high speed internet, and a big screen tv. The rooms each had a king sized double bed, adorned with fluffy pillows and soft blankets. The bathrooms, as well as having the basic needs, each had their own hot tub. One side of the living room was just glass windows, and the view was incredible, you could see right out over the Las Vegas skyline.

"Wow..." Marks voice died in his throat.

"Yeah," agreed Percy "wow"

Annabeth and me just nodded in awe.

My mother was well enough off, and so was my aunt, but never enough for anything like this. It was amazing.

The first thing we all did was to take a shower, and I spent forever getting all the muck and monster-slime out of my waist-length hair.

When I was done, my hair was gleaming softly, a raven black, and my face was cleaner than I had seen it for a while. I went to check out the clothes in the closet, and was surprised when they all fit me perfectly which was weird but I felt sleepy and tired so I didn't question it.

I put on some black shorts and a black crop-top and a black jean jacket, so the same as before basically.

When I was done I hardly recognised myself.

But something stranger was happening.

I could slowly feel myself forgetting why I was here.