1.24: Shattered

Thud

Thud.

Even from here, they had made such a commanding noise against the concrete.

They'd rolled. Nearer to the crowd but not quite off the stage. The pale, lifeless, heads of the two leaders; their eyes were losing the lustre of their remaining colour, the end of their lives dimming.

I still couldn't muster up the courage, couldn't find the strength to move from my current spot. My feet were glued to the ground as I was forced to watch on in horror. The blood that splattered across the stage was all I could focus on.

Watching the heavy drops of blood drip from the blades the two leaders were looking at intently. Only looking up to take turns at leering down at the panic-stricken crowd. Even though the crowd was semi-illusioned, they were determined to keep them that way; just awake enough to understand the threat was real but sedated enough not to fight against it.

The crowd had mostly gone silent, staring up at the stage with confused bewilderment seeming to be the general tone. I don't think I'd hear them anyway, all I could process was a faint buzzing as the world turned itself into blurred light, the images of life nothing more than glimmers and flashing pictures.

The only real sound I could hear was a guttural screech that came directly from Marianna's core; she'd made her way through most of the crowd, face covered in mascara and tears, barely passing me by. The crowd around her was hesitant to move; both from the sheer panic of the situation, but also, a sense of loyalty to her - everyone here knew what would happen if she made it up there.

When she passes by I find myself lunging forward and gathering her up in my arms, the vibration in her body passing through my arms as she continues to heave out aggressive screams. I pulled her to the ground with ease, she'd gone completely limp as soon as we'd made contact.

My own heart was heavy but I couldn't be weak. I needed to be strong for her, or she would never survive this, "Marie," I lull in her ear, holding her head near mine as she shakes, "I need you to stop screaming."

She'd shaken her head violently, the noise still escaping from her mouth and penetrating my ears harshly. I swallow back my emotion because despite how badly watching this was breaking my heart, I didn't have the time to let it get to me.

"Marie" I repeat, tightening my arms around her chest, "There's nothing you can do for him right now, he's gone. If you go up there right now they'll kill you too, and I won't allow that. I won't lose you both in one day."

The scream had stopped suddenly, the sound hitching in the back of her throat as she'd choked on it. The pause had given her time to contemplate, taking a deep, uninterrupted breath. I do the same, focusing on the top of her head to steady myself, before continuing to whisper, "It'll break me apart. I'll have to go up there and tear so many people apart I won't have any soul left,"