When Push Comes to Shove

Bitter November winds buffeted Annabel’s hair about her face. It didn’t bother her, nothing did anymore. She felt numb, emotionless, powerless to stop the chain of events unfolding in front of her. Allan taught her everything he knew about controlling many of the elements. In the past week, she’d managed to manipulate the air around her enough to make a short flight. 

Just as Allan had said she would, Shafira returned to his brother’s home. Annabel watched from the darkened tree line at the side of the property, waiting.

Nothing happened when Shafira flicked the light switch. As expected as it was, it didn’t stop her from flicking it up and down a few more times just to make sure. She crept further into the hall and closed her eyes, attempting to remember the layout.

Having made it to the basement, Shafira sat on the makeshift bed occupying the same space since she was there last. She concentrated on the past, of the things she heard during the few hours her abductor kept her locked up. Mistaking the sound of footsteps overhead, and the sound of basement door opening, as memories, she was startled by a feminine hand gently shaking her.

Annabel smiled. “I knew you’d come.”

“Annabel? What’s going on? Where have you been?”

“Learning about what we are. I’ve shown you dreams of what I have planned, will you stand with me or with the humans?”

“We are human, Annabel. This is our home, you know I can’t stand by and let you destroy everything I love.”

“I stopped being completely human the night of the accident. You have never been, nor will you ever be, human. We are genetically superior to both races.”

“I’m not disputing the fact that we’re superior, that’s why it’s our duty to protect them, to protect our home from invaders who want what this world has to offer. We can’t do it all by ourselves, Annabel. We can’t be the farmers and the guardians. I’ve no idea how to grow food, do you?”

“Humans are our food, remember. I know how to hunt them.”

“Our human sides need food to survive. Human food, not humans as food. Have you seen yourself lately?” Shafira removed her phone from her pocket and took a picture, turning the screen towards Annabel. “Look at it! You’re nothing but a shell. We need this world and the people on it in order to survive. We can live together, work together for a better future for all of us.”

Swiping away tears of pride, Jones waited at the top of the basements stairs, her weapon poised and ready to shoot should Annabel make a move to hurt Shafira. So intent on listening to the conversation below, she didn’t hear Allan’s approach.

He shoved her through the open door and down the stairs. Both Shafira and Annabel jumped to the side to avoid being knocked over.

“Well?” Allan asked. “What’s it to be?”

After contemplating Shafira’s argument, Annabel nodded at Allan. “She’s with us. Help me get rid of the Biogen, I’m I no condition to lift her.”

Shafira frowned, but remained mute.

Allan smiled and descended the steps two at a time. He bent to lift Jones, but didn’t get any further than moving an arm before Annabel snapped his neck. He fell on top of Jones.

“Would one of you mind getting him off me? My arm is broken.” Jones retrieved her weapon with her good arm once she was able to stand. After setting the power level to lethal, she shot Allan in the head. ”No brain function,” she said by way of explanation. “The symbian will need to find a new host. Not that it will get the chance. Shafira, will you do the honours?”

“Please,” Annabel said, rubbing her slightly child-swollen stomach, “allow me. He’s served his purpose.” 

THE END

(For now)