Authorised

"This had better be bloody good, Jones. Anything less than the imminent end of civilization and I'll have your pins, Soldier."

Jones cleared her throat. "I'm sorry, Commander, Sir. Reports are coming in about a major disturbance in Egypt."

"What kind of disturbance are we talking about?" Commander Nicholson sat up in bed and ran a hand through what remained of his greying hair. "Terrorist again?"

"No, Sir, this is more of an anomaly. Severe electrical and sand storms in the Valley of the Kings."

"Even the desert gets a little rain now and again, Jones. Abnormal weather conditions do not qualify as an emergency."

"Sir, the weather guys say it's not natural. It just appeared out of nowhere. There are earth tremors too, magnitude six on the Richter scale."

"Still not sufficient reason..."

"There was something else, Sir."

"Spit it out, Jones. I've had exactly twenty minutes sleep in the past forty-eight hours; I'd like to get back to it."

"Satellites picked something up at the epicentre just before the clouds obscured it. Sir, it looks like a pyramid."

"And?"

"And it wasn't there two minutes previous."

"Perhaps the tremors helped uncover it. Is that everything?"

"I'm sending Foxtrot two to investigate. We'll know more in an hour."

"Good, update me in the morning. And, Jones?"

"Yes, Sir?"

"I'm unavailable for the next seven hours, make sure I'm not disturbed."

"Yes, Sir. I'll disconnect your line as soon as we're done. Goodnight, Sir."

*****

Foxtrot Two breeched the outer edges of the storm and swooped toward the valley. The wind buffeted the large craft as if it were a leaf in a gale. While fighting to keep control, the pilot flipped the record switch for the device attached to the belly of the ship. The live uplink to the satellite blinked active. He turned his attention back to the infrared monitor he was using to see by, and prayed.

Tutankhamun watched the winged beast descend. Once it was within a hundred feet, he flicked his fingers and the craft toppled end over end into the Nile.

The pilot had no time to eject.

Cass Jones closed her eyes briefly as the screen went black. She rewound the tape and pressed PLAY, her concentration on the structure this time. Zooming in, her eyes picked up a figure standing at the top. She frowned, and played it again to be sure before making the call.

"Sir, I know you said no calls, but you have to see this," she insisted. "Thirty three seconds in, you'll notice a figure on top of the structure, watch his eyes. You might need to zoom in for it."

Commander Nicholson sighed, accepting the download on the bedside monitor. "What am I looking at?"

"Just watch, Sir."

"My eyes aren't enhanced, Jones, you'll have to tell me," he said with exasperation.

"His eyes glow white a fraction of a second before the ship goes out of control."

"A reflection?"

"No, Sir, they glowed."

"What's the significance?"

Jones shook her head, wondering how he made Commander. "It means he's not human, Sir. The pattern of the storm centres exactly on him."

"Are you saying he's like you, a Biogen?"

"I appreciate that you think I'm all powerful, but even I can't create storms or earthquakes. It has to be an A.L.F. Sir."

Nicholson ran a palm down his face and sighed. "Who do we have available to go in?"

"Sir, if I may." She hesitated. "I'd like to head this one."

"Hmm, I don't know, Jones, you've only finished your training."

"Professor Brand says I'm ready," she interrupted. "It just needs your signature. Please, Sir?"

"Fine, it's yours. Now can I get some sleep?"