"Robbery in the third degree."

"D Felony."

"Stalking in the second degree."

"E Felony."

Sweat drips on my face as I feint, straight right, make it a double, and finish with a clean right uppercut.

"Health care fraud in the third degree."

"D Felony."

A powerful left jab has me staggering back.

"Making graffiti."

"A Misdemeanor," I pant.

I manage a combo uppercut to Ken's ribcage.

"Alright, big boy. That's enough for today."

I pull off my worn gloves as we slide out of the ring, unwrapping my tightly-bound fingers. We head towards the locker rooms to shower and change into the spare clothing in our gym bags.

Ken and I like to turn training into games. Today, he called out all the New York State Penal Law offences he could remember, and I had to call the class. Next time, we'll switch. Nice way to keep both the mind and the body sharp.

"Romano!" Sarge booms. "Johnson. Destroy the workout today?"

"Yessir."

"Gotta make sure you leave a good-looking corpse, huh?" He claps our backs.

I chuckle.

"Yessir."

He sighs, drawing a hand over his face.

"Reminds me. Gotta go talk to the families of the officers down this week."

I nod grimly.

"Good luck, sarge."

He purses his lips and rolls his shoulders before heading off.  

•••

"Failure to maintain lane, not having insurance, not having your drivers license or picture identification on your person

"Failure to maintain lane, not having insurance, not having your drivers license or picture identification on your person..." I take out my pen and notepad to write the driver a warning. "That's like two thousand dollars worth of citations I'm cutting you a break on."

The man blinks in awe, tears pooling in his eyes.

"If I see you driving this vehicle again," I begin sternly as I rip off the pad of paper and hand it to him.