Chapter 8

Jake's POV

Panic. Fear. Anger. Pain.

All different feelings were rushing through my veins. I didn't know what to do next so I laid there, still trying to process what happened.

"Jake!" I hear them shout out my name.
They keep shaking me, waiting for me to respond but I just wasn't ready to. I wasn't ready to see the pain and fear in their eyes.

But one statement from Vivian drew me out of the little fantasy I tried to create, "Get an ambulance Josie. Emilia, anybody, call 911, call the police please!"

No no no, they can't do that. It'll only make matters worse. A warning as threatening as this is probably from the Scorpions. The tattoo on the neck of my shooter definitely confirms this. The last thing you could do is involving the police in such cases. You might not make it out alive to see them getting jailed. That's if they even get caught.

I opened my eyes to see Josie hovering over me with tears in her eyes.
"Don't call the police or even an ambulance. I'm fine." I manage to say.

"Jake, are you crazy? I'm calling for help right now." Vivian says.
"Do you expect us to leave you here to die or something dude?" Owen asks.

"None of you should call anyone, you hear me!" I say with all the energy I could gather as I slam my hand on the floor, ignoring the pain that was currently draining the life out of me.

"It won't solve anything." I say a little calmer this time.
"But Jake..." I hold my hand up for her to stop.

"Please, I'm fine." I assure all of them and turn back to Josie who's still in shock.
I manage to stand up from the floor with one palm wrapped around my arm, trying to reduce the bleeding.

"I'll...I'll go get the first aid box, we have one at the back." Josie says with a shaky voice.

"Dylan, can you please take Vivian home?" I ask him.
"Jake..." Vivian tries to argue.

"Vivian, it's getting later by the minute. I really don't want my dad to start getting worried. Please, just listen to me. And don't tell him anything about this. Just tell him I'm crashing at a friend's place for the night."

She nods her head gently and I look towards Emilia who is still standing on the same spot in silence.

"So you won't be going home, where will you stay?" Owen asks.

"I've found the first aid box." Josie announces, interrupting our conversation and also saving me from Owen's question.

She walks towards me and helps me sit down at a nearby table.

A phone starts to ring, echoing round the room.

"I'm sorry. I don't know why it's so loud. It's...it's my dad I have to go now." Emilia says with sniffs in between. She's so emotional geez.

"Do you have a ride Em? I can drop you off. If... if you don't mind though." I hear Owen say nervously.

"I don't think I'd drive if I had my car anyway, so sure...let's go." Emilia replies.

She walks over to give Josie a hug as she says goodbye to the others before leaving with Owen.

"Jake, you'll be fine right?" Vivian asks with concern.
"I'll be okay, just get home safe." I tell her.

She walks towards Josie to say goodnight to her.
"Josie, please take care of him for me okay?" Vivian says as she sobs quietly.

"Yeah. He'll be okay." Josie tells her, sounding like she's convincing herself more than Viv.

I hold my arm tightly as the pain hits me hard.
"Take her home Dylan, thanks." I say softly, as I feel my energy leaving me gradually.