Chapter 3

Josie's POV

I feel the rays of the sun burning into my skin, as it finds its way through the window.
Groaning loudly, I turn to my right side to avoid the radiance of the sun that's about to blind me even in my sleep.

And then it hits me. It's morning!
Oh my God, I have work today. How on earth did I remain asleep despite the deafening sound of my alarm?!

I quickly jump up from my bed to get ready before it gets later.

And then I see it, my phone, lying helplessly on the floor with a shattered screen.

The images of last night start to appear in my head. I remember the text, his text that broke me down, leaving me terrified and unable to close my eyes to sleep as fear consumed me. But my eyes acted on their own, going to sleep after several hours of crying.

The exact same way I was two years ago—broken, afraid, helpless and mute, all managed to find their ways back to me in just one night.

I pick up my phone with slightly shaking hands, drowning down whatever feelings I felt and start to get ready for the day. I can't let this overwhelm me, I've got a child to babysit.

•  •  •

*knock knock*

I wait patiently for the door to burst open, but it doesn't. On wanting to knock again, the door opens immediately, revealing a well dressed Mrs Woods, ready to head out to work.

I wonder what job she's doing that requires her attention even on a Saturday morning. But whatever it is, it gives me the chance to make some extra cash from babysitting.

"Oh, thank goodness you're here. Come in, come in. I'm already late for work. What made you so late today?"

"Oh, I..."
I'm about to speak but I get cut off immediately, as she continues what she was saying. She probably didn't even need an answer to that.

"Well, the most important thing is that you're here now. Okay, so they're almost done with breakfast, they've already done their assignments so you don't have to bother about that and I left some food in the microwave in case they get hungry again."

I simply nod my head in response, to avoid being cut off again.

"Feel free to make yourself something too, if you get hungry. I'm out, they're your responsibility now. See you later Josie."

"Have a nice day Mrs Woods!" I manage to say, before she walks hurriedly to her car.

I walk into the kitchen and find the twins still drinking their cereals,
"Hello my two favorite kids, Ally and Austin."

"Hi Josie!" they say in unison.
I smile at them, as I ruffle Austin's hair.
"Care for some?" Austin offers.
"No thank you, gentleman."

"Come on Josie, you need it. You look sooo lean." Ally says, supporting her brother.

Ouch, that hurt.

"Oh do I?," I say to her while smiling, as I tickle her from behind.

"Yeah.. Josie, I'm gonna throw up if you don't stop, Josie!" She manages to say, as she laughs in between her words.

"Okay, I'm gonna let you go just this once. So, do you twins have anything in mind for our fun time together?"

Please not painting again this time, I barely got the paint out of my hair the last time.

"Nope," they finally respond, popping the letter p.

"Good, cause I have something in mind that I'm sure you're both gonna love!" I say with relief. No painting today at least.