Chapter 15 - Who Is It?

Tessa

It's been almost 20 minutes since Josh left me and Bella at the Mall. I've been going around aimlessly, staring at different shops while Bella is kicking her tiny legs around from inside the pooch earning a few happy glances from the people around.

I got a coffee for my self and I'm waiting for Hardin to pick us up, when I finally see him walking through the nearest entrance. His tall demeanor is enough to intimidate the strongest people and he looks so effortesly handsome, I can't stop drooling at him. He gives me a half smile as he approaches us and I smile shyly back at him. He gives me a kiss on the cheek but whispers huskily in my ear.

"You might wanna close that pretty mouth of yours love" he smiles and I whimper.

"What took you so long?" I ask him lacing my hand with his, which at first he finds weird but thank God he holds mine in place. He leans over Bella's forehead and kisses her and then straightening his posture while walking us out.

"I kept some company to your mother" he says and my heart swells. "We should hurry, the office closes at 12 am"

We make our way to the car and strap Bella in the back seat. Hardin notices the bags I'm holding but doesn't say anything until we are seated inside.

"Did you buy the whole store by any chance?" he mocks at me.

"She needed a few extra onesies and some other stuff for the trip" I tell him and he nods. "Have you talked with your parents yet?" I ask him and his eyes widen.

"No, shit I completely forgot about it. I'll call them later today when we are done with everything" He says and I nod.

The rest of the drive is silent with Hardin giving glances at Bella and squeezing my thigh every now and then. He seems tense but everytime he gives me a look I see him visibily relax which is a good thing.

The office isn't so packed and I'm thankful because my legs are killing me caring Bella around all day. I need a warm shower and cuddles with Hardin to help me take my mind off things.

"Mr Scott, please follow me this way" the secretary informs us and leads the way inside those long corridors. Bella seems to understand we are in a serious situation so she isn't causing any noise.

We are seated across a lady who appears to be in charge of adoption papers and such. She eyes me and specially Hardin up and down, before clearing her throat to speak.

"I have your folder here. All I need you to do is sign this pack of papers. Did you also request for a passport issue?" she asks him.

"Yes I did, three days ago. I stated it was an emergency" he speaks softly which is very unusual for him.

"I have all the documents here" she pats the folder with a smile "I will sent them to the offices today and you should be able to have them next week" she informs us and we nod.

"Also, a worker from the social services and another one representing our office will pass by your residence for a quick assessment"

"Assessment for what exactly?" Hardin asks and clenches his jaw. I silently plead for him to keep his composure, by squeezing his thigh underneath the desk. I know he can feel it but right now I don't think it has any effect.

"To ensure that the environment the baby will grow up is safe" she tries to reason with him. I knew this was coming, it's always like this.

"I don't think you give a shit about the environment" he speaks and the lady gasps. Instinctively Bella's head is turned towards Hardin and her eyes widen at the slight raise of his voice.
"You don't think I'm suitable to take care of her? Why because I have a few tattoos and piercings?"

"Hardin, baby..." I speak softly squeezing his leg once again but this time Bella's cries are the ones to bring him back to earth.

He watches her closely and reaches for her, taking her out of my pooch and placing her in his arms. Her tiny hands are quick to wrap around his neck and her head muzzles on the crook of his neck.

"Would you like me to call someone?" the woman asks worried.

"It's alright. She just wants Hardin to hold her" I speak for them and Hardin's eyes tell me that whatever I said melted every anger in him.

"That's right" he says and takes my hand underneath the desk. Holding Bella with one hand, he is quick to sign the papers with the other.

"I assure you, this is a routine procedure that we are required to follow from the government" she tells us, but Hardin is too busy giving Bella heart eyes to pay attention to what she says.

After what seems like a century, Hardin and I make our way out of the offices with Bella fast asleep on his arms. I know he is extremely pissed about what happened up there so I don't even want to comment on that. The drive back home is relatively fast and when we open the door, I find my mother sleeping on the sofa.

She must be so exhausted. I'm so happy she is here with us and I get to built a stronger relationship with her. I know we will be leaving for London soon but I have the need to be around her as much as possible before we go.

"I'll take her" I tell Hardin who is straggling with Bella and his long ass arms.

"No, it's okay. I'll change her and put her to sleep. You should eat something baby, you look pale" he tells me, softly caressing my cheek as I lean further into it.

"Thank you" I tell him, hugging his tall torso.

"For what?"

"For doing this for us" he knows in what I'm referring exactly.

"Anything for my princess" he tells me kissing my temple before heading upstairs with the baby.

The house isn't a mess but it also isn't  clean. I don't have the strength to do anything today, plus I've been feeling a string dizziness all morning so I settle on the kitchen island with a bowl of pasta in front of me.

God that feels so good

A few minutes later Hardin comes down with a pair of joggers and his hair a cute wet mess so he must have showered. He gives me a slh smirk noticing how I drool all over him but I ignore it and I focus on my plate. He comes around grabbing a beer from the fridge, before joining me on the chair next to me.

"I need to call my mother tomorrow" he tells me, and I turn to look at him. I nod, but I don't know what else to say. I'm excited to meet them, but frightened as hell.

"I'm sure she will freak the fuck out" he adds chuckling.

"Don't tell her everything right away"

"Yeah, I won't. I'll bring it up slowly" he says before taking a chug from the bottle.

"Does she know... in what you are involved?"

"Were" he tells me correcting me "And no, she doesn't"

"Will you tell her?" I ask, genuinely interested.

"I guess I have to, but maybe some other time" he says and I agree.

I cleaned the kitchen a little bit and Hardin takes my hand in his, walking us towards the stairs. It's a little late and my body is starting to shut down. I haven't been taking care of my self and it's now evident on my body. As we round the wall, we hear loud angry  bangs on the wall, Hardin immediately pushing me behind him.

"Are you waiting for someone?" he asks me and I shake my head. He gestures for me to go upstairs but I see him grabbing a gun from our drawers in the hall, and I gulp loudly. I run upstairs to Bella, praying that whoever it is, came here with good intentions. I've seen Hardin with a gun a handful of times, but I don't want to live another day with this sight in front of me.