27

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

──-ˋˏ☂︎ˎˊ-──

WIND HOWLED, energy thrummed, and the ground beneath her quaked. Freya felt queasy as the building violently shook, and she covered her ears along with Allison as if that would somehow stop the deafening sounds from rattling her brain. Diego glanced over to them once more, that glint in his eyes that made Freya's heart drop. He had his hero-face on.

"Vanya is in the room at the end of the hall," he stated.

"How do you propose we get to her?" Allison questioned.

"I haven't figured that one out yet," Diego admitted, looking into the hallway again.

"You can count me out," Klaus stated, and Freya scowled.

"Klaus!"

"What? You guys should save her. You're great at all the hero shit."

Freya groaned. "Why would you say that? Diego's ego is already big enough as it is!"

"You know what else is—" Diego started, but Freya smacked his stomach.

"Do not finish that sentence, you pervert!"

"Vanya would understand!" Klaus insisted, leaning forward so they could hear him better. "Because she has realistic expectations for what I really am! And what I am is sexy trash."

"You're a big pussy, that's what you are," Diego snapped.

"Hey, Jessica Jones," Freya now moved to slap his arm. "Be nice to him!"

"It's the truth—"

"Guys," Allison interrupted their bickering, rolling her eyes in annoyance. "Now is not the time."

"Why? Because I don't wanna die? Who does? And martyrs aren't around to enjoy the victory party, because they're dead!"

Diego lunged at him, Klaus fought him off, wrestling on the floor. As Freya attempted to pull them apart, and Allison had the chance to slip away, it was too late before any of them to notice because she had already started to crawl up the hallway.

She was thrown back in a matter of seconds, landing onto the ground, unconscious, and Diego's eyes sparkled as he inched up towards the opening. "All right. I'm going."

"No!" Freya grabbed his arm, yanking him backwards. "We need a plan."

"My plan is that I'm going to save the day. Got it?"

"Wait!" Klaus yelled, cutting off Freya's response which would've went like:

Diego, you're an idiot. Let's come up with an actual plan before you get yourself killed and I have to haunt you in hell.

Diego paused, and he glanced back to Klaus, looking a mix between annoyed and exhausted. She suddenly noticed the dark bags under his eyes, and felt the need to yell at him in worry because Freya knew he hadn't been taking care of himself. It was written all over his face. "If you don't make it back, there's one thing I need to tell you."

"I don't have time for this."

"Please," he begged, and Diego finally compelled, staring at him expectedly. "You look like Antonio Banderas with the long hair. I just thought you should know."

Freya felt a laugh rise up in her throat as Diego gave him a curt nod. "Thanks, man." And that was all he said before he bolted into the hallway.

The sound of Diego's body hitting against the desk made her flinch, and Freya nervously swallowed, before glancing to Klaus. "And then there were two."