12

CHAPTER TWELVE

──-ˋˏ☂︎ˎˊ-──

"KLAUS, I don't think you're doing it correctly," Freya informed from the opposite end of his bed, watching as he struggled to knit something with a ball of yarn. He studiously ignored her, which only made Freya's amusement grow. "You're gonna end up stanning yourself in the eye, genius."

"Listen," he ordered sharply, waving his free hand in her face, pointing an accusing finger at her. "I don't need your negativity right now."

A sudden knock at the door interrupted Freya from replying, and it opened to reveal Five, who glanced between the two of them. "Hey. Get up, we're going."

"No," Freya said, shrugging. "I'm comfy."

"Where to?" Klaus asked.

"To save the world," Five answered.

"Oh, is that all? Great."

"Can we, take a break?" Freya questioned. "It's like...ten in the morning."

Five rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Pogo said dad killed himself to get us all back together, right?"

"Yeah, so?" Klaus wondered, pushing himself up as he threw on a shirt.

"Yeah you guys together, I'm just an outsider."

"Put your damn shoes on, Element Girl."

Freya glared at him and turned to look at Klaus. "I hate teenagers."

"So it got me thinking," Five started to explain, ignoring her comment. "I had to jump to the future to figure out when it happened, but Dad can't time travel. So how'd the crazy bastard actually know to kill himself the week before the end of the world?"

"Huh," Freya mused. "Good point, actually. Very good point."

"Well, you know—"

"Don't answer," Five demanded. "That was purely rhetorical. Truth is our whole lives he's been telling us we'd save the world from an impending apocalypse."

"Yeah," Klaus waved him off. "But I always thought he just said that to scare us into doing the dishes."

"Me too," Five agreed with the nod of his head. "But what if the old man really knew it was going to happen?"

"How would he even know though?"

"No idea. But the fact remains, his fakakta plan worked." Klaus absentmindedly sniffed his shirt, his face scrunching up in disgust, and Freya winced at his expression, holding back another laugh. "We all came home. We're here, so we might as well save the world now."

"Oh yeah? Like the three of us?"

"He's not wrong," Freya chimed in. "We're the only ones left. Diego's still in jail, Luther took off like a big baby, and Allison is God knows where."

"You're right," Five tsked, leading them out of Klaus' room into the hallway. "It's not ideal, but I've gotta work with what I've got."

Loud rapid footsteps approached, and Freya watched with raised brows as Diego jogged in through the front door, darting into his room. With a smug grin, she followed in after him, leaning against the doorframe. "Hey Princess. How was jail? Get any new tatts?"

"Shut up."

"Oh my God. Is it on your ass? You scandalous little bastard."

Diego rolled his eyes, brushing past her as he clipped something onto his suit, he tugged on her arm during the process, sending sparks flying as he pulled her into the hallway where the other two boys stood. "Where's Luther?"