18.

The room is quiet as I sleep beside Riley. Mr Miyagi went home last night to get some real rest so it's just us in the room, occasionally three people when the doctor comes in for a check-up. Then, there's a noise that's disturbing me. It sounds like...beeping? It's getting faster, louder. I force my eyes open and realise it's the heart monitor going off like crazy. 

"Riley??" I call out. She's still unresponsive but the machine is on blast. I get nervous and rush out to find a doctor. "T-the heart machine" is all I can say. He understands anyway and grabs a team of nurses before running into the room. I stand in the doorway, watching as the doctors try to save her. "Come on baby please stay with me" tears roll down my cheeks.

The machine goes dead.

I'm shouting for answers. Nobody replies to me, they're too busy focusing on Riley. "Get me a defibrillator, now!" the doctor yells out. I feel sick as I watch them shock her, trying to start her heart up again, the machine still flatlined. After a while, they pull back and look at each other. I know what it means. 

I go to step forward when I suddenly pass out from the stress, overwhelmed by everything.

---

I slowly wake up to see a nurse standing with me, she hands me a glass of water. "How are you feeling?" She asks me curiously. I don't answer her, instead just bursting into tears. The nurse wraps a blanket around me as she rubs my back, trying to console me. "I-it's all my fault" I sob. "It's not your fault hun, these things happen out of our control," she says softly. I take deep breaths, trying to calm myself down.

A doctor approaches, clearing his throat. "I have some news," he says, I can't tell if he sounds sad or not. "I-I know, please don't say it" I stutter, not strong enough to hear the news. He looks at me and gestures that I follow, presumably to say goodbye. I sniffle and walk slowly behind him, my throat closes up.

"Are you ready?" He asks me as we reach the door. I'm not, I'm not ready to say goodbye to Riley but I nod anyway. He opens the door and we walk in, I'm greeted with the biggest shock of my life. Her pretty little eyes scan me, most of her face hidden behind the breathing mask. I can't even speak because I'm so shocked, I thought I lost her.

I run to the bed and hug her tightly, never wanting to let her go. "I love you" I cry, staring at her pale face. She doesn't speak but she nods, squeezing my hand a little and I know that my baby will be just fine.