9.

The tournament 

We arrive at the All-Valley Karate Tournament so I follow the guys over to our area as I watch people crowding into the building. The air is filled with chatter and laughter from the excited audience as they take their seats on the benches. Kreese and Terry are talking with smirks on their faces, the others are gearing up. "You ready to kick some ass soon?" Mike winks at me, I nod in response.

"Riley, today's the day. Everything we've worked for comes down to this and I hope you make me proud" Terry says as he turns to me, I can feel Kreese's heated gaze on me. "Yes Sensei" I reply firmly. "Ugh, there he is" I hear Snake mutter. I look across the room towards the enemy, Daniel LaRusso. He's more attractive than I imagined, he's scanning the room anxiously. Then, he talks to an old man beside him.

Interesting. 

Terry notices me staring at Daniel and pulls me to the side. "Remember what I said to you Riley, he will lie and try to manipulate you just so he can win. Don't let him get in your head whatsoever" he warns me, I nod my head. "Yes Sensei" he pats my shoulders before we head over to the others. Something about this Daniel character draws me to him again, I feel my eyes shifting over. Shortly after, we hear the announcer state that the matches are starting.

I take a seat on the bench and watch as Snake goes up first. Watching the fight, I'm supposed to be focusing on Snake but I find my eyes wandering over to Daniel. He's nervous I can tell but he's good. 

Maybe not good enough for me.

---

Daniel's pov:

Thankfully the training with Mr Miyagi is paying off. Every time I look over at him, he gives me a nod of approval which makes me feel good about myself. The crowd cheers after my second match, the boy walks off in a huff defeated. "I'm doing it!" I call out excitedly to Miyagi. "Hai Daniel-San" he smiles.

"We're gonna take a short 5-minute break and then we'll be back" the announcer calls out over the microphone. I jog over to Miyagi who pats my back as I take a sip of water from my bottle. "You know man, I was unsure of today but the karate is going better than I expected" I praise.

"Hai but focus, must not lose focus" Miyagi instructs, I nod my head slowly as I listen to him. He's right, I have to stay concentrated if I want to win. I might be in the lead now but anything could change at the last second. I wipe the light sheen of sweat that coats my forehead with the sleeve of my gi, boy is it hot in here.

A few minutes later I'm called back onto the mat, the crowd starts getting hyped again. 'Bring it on' I think to myself as I wait for my next opponent. I can't help but show my smile as I wait, I know I've got this in the bag. Maybe I jinxed myself earlier when the person I'm about to fight steps out into the light.

My smile disappears and I feel like my heart is going to explode. I look back over my shoulder and notice Mr Miyagi is just as shocked I am. I feel a lump in my throat rise and I feel a sudden sickness rush over me.

"B-baby?" I call out.

Staring back at me is Riley in a Cobra Kai gi.