ch.3

How wrong was I?

The next day at school everyone was talking about Daniel and I as a couple. We were approached by Freddy on the playing field. "I knew you were guys were a thing, I have eyes," he said cheerfully. "Awe, maybe we weren't as secretive as we thought," I said teasingly. "Yeah but we tried babe," Daniel said, playing along. My heart was beating fast but I kept my cool. "How did you find out?" I added. "Oh Ali told people, I think she's jealous" Freddy answered.

When I agreed to help Daniel, I didn't actually expect the whole school to be on it. It was mainly so Ali could leave him alone. After the fourth lesson, I was waiting outside Daniel's class for him when I noticed Ali by the water fountain. I went up to her.

"Hi, uh, why did you tell people about me and Daniel? It was supposed to be a lowkey relationship and you've really pissed him off" I tested her. She looked at me with wide eyes. "I'm really sorry I thought others knew, I only told Susan but she is known for having a big mouth" Ali replied, trying to lighten the mood. Daniel eventually came out of class and walked up to us. "Everything alright?" He asked. "Yeah, Ali here was just leaving," I said. She nodded her head and scuttled off.

"Are you still coming to my house after school today?" He asked as we walked towards the cafeteria. "Yeah of course, after I make my dad some dinner" I replied. Lunch was different because I felt like everyone was looking at us and it slightly put me off eating my food. "So how long have you been dating?" Freddy questioned. I looked at Daniel to signal that he should answer. "Um, it's fairly new, we didn't think people would find out" he replied calmly. "And how did it happen? Tell us" Freddy goaded. Daniel smiled at me for help.

"We were on the beach chilling and he asked me to be his girlfriend, nothing extravagant but I like it" I lied. "That's cute, you're the man LaRusso" Freddy replied. Daniel looked at me with a small smirk.

After lunch, I said goodbye to my friends and headed into the library as I had a free period. I was browsing the shelves for something to read when I was surrounded by the same girl that had me kicked out of gym class and her friends. Her name was Elly. "How does the new girl bag the hot karate kid so quickly?" Her eyes were narrow.

"He must really like my charms," I said sarcastically. I went to break out of the circle but they came in closer, tightening the gap which forced me against the bookshelf. "I've had a sneaky feeling about you. You're hiding something and I will find out" she said. I laughed in her face which irked her. "I'm not hiding anything and that hot karate kid is my boyfriend Daniel so watch your mouth" I retaliated. 

"Why don't you kiss him then?" She asked firmly. "Excuse me?" I replied sharply. "You heard me. If he's your so-called boyfriend then kiss him" she said. "We already do, we don't need public attention to show intimacy" I declared. "Listen, there's a school dance next Friday, you better turn up and prove it with a kiss otherwise I'm going to expose you as a liar" Elly warned. "That's in one week," I said. "Better get shopping then" she answered back before she and her cronies walked off, leaving me speechless.

---

"What's wrong Riley? You're really quiet today" Daniel said as we sat on his couch watching tv. I thought for a moment. "Elly has given me a week to prove we're dating otherwise she'll expose me as a liar" I semi explained. I didn't have the courage to mention the kiss solely out of fear of rejection. "Don't you worry, we'll just have to step up our fake couple show," he said with a smile. 

"Right, fake relationship" I mumbled under my breath.

There was a knock on the door, Daniel got up to answer it and standing there was Freddy. "Hey guys, I have a huge favour to ask," he panted. His face was bright red and I assumed he had been running. "I have a date tomorrow with Marcia, she goes to East Valley but I'm a bit nervous so she suggested a double date at Mikey's diner, what perfect idea for us to all go" he explained with a grin.

"Yeah sure man, sounds good," Daniel said. Together they looked at me and I nodded my head in agreement though I wasn't up for a fake date, let alone a double one. "Thanks, man. Be ready for six" Freddy instructed before he waved goodbye and headed off home. Daniel returned to his seat beside me. "Look at that. A double date to prove we're together. It's the best plan I've heard of" Daniel chatted, unaware I had blocked him out.

I was good at pretending I was engaged in conversation when I wasn't listening. I had practised over the years with my dad and I did it whenever I felt flustered. Elly's words replayed in my mind. I either had to kiss Daniel in front of the whole school only for it to be meaningless or I would have my new girl reputation shattered by the popular girl. Daniel rested his head against mine and I wondered what it would be like if his feelings for me were real.