ch.2

A month later

I was sitting with Daniel and our friends at the cafeteria table. We had become really close and I knew I liked him when every little thing I did reminded me of him. I had only dated once before back in England but it wasn't a serious romance, just something short-lived. We were joking around with Freddy when his eyes widened in alarm. "Uh, Daniel. Look who just walked in" Freddy said uncomfortably.

We all looked up from the table to see a gorgeous blonde strutting her way through. She had bouncy curls and the looks of a model. I knew instantly who it was from seeing old pictures that Daniel had shown me. It was Ali Mills, Daniel's ex-girlfriend who left him for a football player. He and I spoke about her not long ago and I remembered hearing the sadness in his voice, she was his first love and for the pain she caused, I didn't take highly to her.

I watched as she spoke to a couple of girls from my classes. She was a lot prettier in person and her looks intimidated me. Not in any way because I was scared of her, she looked too soft for that but because she was something I couldn't compare to. Seeing her, I understood how Daniel fell for her, if I were a boy I'd probably fall for her too. After a minute or so, she glanced over at us and noticed Daniel. Her face slightly lit up and she said goodbye to her friends.

To my dislike, she was heading over to our table. "Hi Daniel," she said softly, pushing her hair behind her ears. Daniel didn't say anything but nodded his head, trying to avoid eye contact. Everyone was silent as the awkwardness screamed in the air. "Can we talk outside, alone?" She asked, biting her lip. "Not now Ali, I'm really hungry" he replied bluntly, taking a bite out of his sandwich. "Oh okay, another time. I miss you" she said before leaving the cafeteria. Everyone glanced at each other.

"What is she doing back here? Last I heard her parents moved her to a posh school" Freddy gossiped. "I dunno but I'd rather not talk about her, she made her choice," Daniel said moodily. I wanted to say something but even so, I felt it wasn't my place to so I sat playing with my food thoughtfully.

---

After school, Daniel and I were walking to the parking lot as we were going to the beach again. "I can't believe you caught that fly in chopsticks last night" I conversed. "Mr Miyagi showed me a while ago, I think he's a little jealous I did it first" Daniel replied with a glint in his eyes. "I mean a fly swat would be easier but whatever floats ya boat" I laughed. "Well you know Mr Miyagi, he's connected with his heritage roots," he said. I nodded my head in agreement.

Then, Johnny Lawrence appeared out of nowhere and blocked our path. He was taller than us with broad shoulders and ridiculously messy blonde hair. He always had this sort of mean look on his face. "So I'm guessing you know Ali is back?" He said, crossing his arms. I could see his gang of friends nearby, watching us with hawk eyes. "You can have her, I'm done," Daniel said sharply. He pulled me to the side and we walked off. Looking back, Johnny was standing there with a surprised expression. I didn't know him at all, except for the fact he was the guy Daniel beat in the tournament and also was Ali's ex-boyfriend.

Then as if on cue, she appeared by Daniel's car holding her books tightly in her arms. She stared at me with a smile but I didn't return it. "I just want to apologize and talk to you, see if we can work things out," she said slowly. Daniel rubbed the back of his neck. 

"Work things out? You dumped me for another guy after everything we went through. I literally got beat up for you" said Daniel. "I know, and I'm sorry. We were arguing a lot and I didn't think we'd make it but I realized I made a huge mistake" she replied. "Ali don't do this, you made your choice and I have a girlfriend," he blurted out. That was a lie. I looked at him oddly but didn't say anything.

"I haven't heard about this, who is it then?" She said curiously. I looked at Daniel who seemed slightly panicked. To help him at that moment, I wrapped my arm around his and rested my head on his shoulder. I felt his tense body loosen up and he rested his head on mine. 

Ali took a deep breath. "I thought she was your girlfriend, well, I hope you two are happy," she said quietly. "We're very happy, don't you worry about it," I said, looking her dead in the eyes. Maybe it was a bit harsh but I said it anyway. She nodded her head and walked off. We broke apart when she was out of sight.

"Thank you for that," he said with a small chuckle. "Aha it's cool, but what does that mean now?" I asked curiously. He thought for a moment. "I hope you don't mind but we'll have to be fake boyfriend and girlfriend in school," he said. Hearing him say that made my heart skip a beat but sadly I knew it was only for show. "That's fine, it's not like people know anyway so it'll be a breeze" I replied with a smile.