19.

Reseda, California

A week later

Riley's pov:

I walked out of the terminal and smiled brightly when I saw pops standing by the gate. I ran over to him and we hugged tightly. We linked arms as we walked through the airport and then he put my suitcase in the boot before we drove back towards home. "That's a nice ring you're wearing" dad commented when he noticed it on my finger.

"Thanks, I got you a present" I replied. I dug into my backpack and pulled out a Star Wars trinket, he was a huge fan. "You're the best pumpkin" he chuckled as he looked at it in awe. I smiled and leaned back in my seat, I was happy that he liked my gift. An hour later we finally arrived home. I carried my suitcase upstairs and flopped down on my bed tiredly, I wanted to go see my friends but I crashed out the minute my head hit that pillow.

---

Daniel's pov:

I was out at the supermarket with Ma when we bumped into John, Riley's dad. "Hello, how you doing?" He greeted. The two adults got into a conversation, I noticed a Star Wars trinket poking out of his pocket. I was lost in my thoughts when I overheard Riley's name. "What did you just say?" I asked curiously. John looked at me oddly. "Just that Riley arrived back this morning. She's sleeping in bed" he repeated. My eyes widened, I thought she wasn't coming back.

"Oh god, I needa see her" I cried out. The two adults chuckled. "The back gate is open, you can head through there" John replied. I kissed ma's cheek and thanked John before running out of the supermarket. I wanted to run all the way there but I got a bit out of breath so I sped walked the rest of the journey. When I reached Riley's house, I went through the back gate as John said and entered the house. "Baby?" I called out. There was no response.

I ran upstairs and entered her bedroom. Her suitcase was leaned against the closet and there she was, fast asleep in bed. I wanted to wake her up, tell her just how much I love her but I decided to let her sleep, she looked worn out after all. I crawled into bed beside her limp body and cuddled her, she stirred but didn't wake up. I smiled to myself as she snuggled into my chest, it felt just like old times.

That was when I noticed it. The ring on her ring finger. I lifted her hand carefully and studied it. The ring was a diamond, it appeared very expensive. I had never seen it before and I couldn't think of a time where Riley had worn it.

I went to leave when I accidentally woke Riley up. She sleepily opened her eyes, a big smile etched on her face when she saw me. "Daniel, baby!" She cried out. She jumped onto me and kissed me ever so passionately, I melted into her embrace. I missed those lips. Those eyes. That smile. I missed her.

She went to speak when we pulled apart but I beat her to it. "What's this?" I asked, lifting her finger to her face so she could see the ring. Her face softened and she sighed. 

"An engagement ring" she replied. 

I could've sworn my soul left my body.