²⁹the first match

"Are you any nervous? It's the first match; and it's against Gryffindor," Ayla asked as she watched Grace pull her wavy black hair up into a ponytail on the back of her head. Grace was wearing her Slytherin Quidditch robes and her cheeks wore vivid green eye-black. She always seemed to buzz with a sort of energy on these days and Ayla liked it. It seemed the only time Grace would truly let herself relax.

"Nope. We'll win. Got Regulus. Brilliant Seeker. And me. Brilliant Chaser. No chance of us losing."

Ayla nodded, "Yeah, that's true. But also I heard the Gryffindor team got a wicked Keeper."

"But they also got two freshmen Beaters. Fourth years, they are, and just starting. I wouldn't be surprised if they accidently threw their bat's across the pitch and hit someone in the head." Grace tugged on her Quidditch gloves, stretching her pale, skinny fingers about to get more comfortable.

Ayla nodded again and thought about that happening. She knew how scary first games were so she hoped the new Gryffindor Beaters did good.

"Well, I better get out to the field. My captain's probably already going mad that I'm not already out there," explained Grace. She snatched her broom from the bench and set out for the locker room's door, Ayla trailing behind her.

"Good luck, Grace. I'll make sure to cheer for you extra loud so I can embarrass you," Ayla teased, bumping her shoulder into Grace's.

"Don't need luck. And thanks, I appreciate it," replied Grace. She smirked slyly but Ayla could tell that she really meant it. Grace did appreciate when she cheered her on, even if she made a fool of herself.

Ayla pulled her into a quick, last minute "good luck" hug where Grace went stiff as a board for a moment until she eased into it. They waved goodbye and Ayla set off for the stands, in search of Tegan and Emmett, who offered her a spot with them during the match.

She shuffled her way through the crowd of people, muttering "sorry" every now and then as she tripped over peoples feet or bumped into someone a bit too hard or even got her hair caught in a Ravenclaw's earring.

Through this whole time though, Ayla's heart was pounding loud in her chest with excitement and zeal. Quidditch always made her happy like this, no matter the day or time. There was something so calming about the game and Ayla was itching to get on the field for her first match.

Finally, after what felt like ages of pushing through the crowd, Ayla spotted Tegan's coiled dark hair with Emmett by her side with his slicked back, as per usual. And just right in front of them, as if the fates decided it, sat Remus and Peter, holding a tiny Gryffindor flag between them. Remus was wearing a handsome red sweater that complimented his tawny brown hair. Ayla  thought it looked very nice.

Her eyes lingered on him for a moment before she finally made it to Tegan.

"Hey! Come! Sit! Sit!" Tegan insisted, pushing Emmett over to make room for Ayla. Ayla sat and pulled her favorite pink cardigan closer to warm herself up from the upcoming chilly weather.

"Hello, Emmett, I haven't seen you in a quite a bit," Ayla greeted.

"Ayla, good to see you. And you're right. It's been a while. All good things since then?"

Ayla nodded and then a silence carried between them. Tegan and Emmett started a conversation of their own and Ayla felt mighty foolish, noticing how horribly embarrassing it was being a third wheel. Perhaps that was why she hadn't hung out with Tegan much since school started.

Ayla looked up at the pitch and studied Madam Hooch fighting with one of the Bludgers to take her mind off the thought because it made her feel too bad. The Bludger she was messing with was one of the wildest ones Ayla had seen in a while. She wondered if this would affect the game at all. She quickly got tired of this and without thinking, she tapped Remus on the shoulder, who was sitting directly in front of her.