FTE - Ch 7

“Come in and sit down, Admiral.” Chief Councilor Agron greeted Vice Admiral Nagao at the door of the council chamber. The wood paneling on the doors and walls was a sign that the chamber had been in existence for hundreds of years, perhaps dating back to the founding of the Orion colonies on Bellatrix and Rigel. Councilors Hyatt and Schlein were already seated in chairs that faced the large hardwood desk in the center of the hall. The admiral followed councilor Agron to a seat that was unoccupied and seated himself, his braided hat in his hand.

The room reminded Nagao of a large rotunda. All around the room were small statue figurines mounted on marble plinths, each holding a sword or bow, some with shields or clubs. They were arranged just outside the seating area, as if they were somehow protecting the councilors and their guests. Behind the statues were bookcases lined with volumes of various tomes. They looked like law books to Nagao, although they could have been anything. All of the wood was stained dark, but betrayed its grain in the soft light that floated in from the many floor-to-ceiling windows through the fractionally opaque curtains.

“We have just completed another analysis cycle, Admiral. You may be pleased to learn that the plan remains unchanged.”

The admiral grunted his acknowledgement and looked down at the hat in his hand. This was the fourth such meeting with the councilors, and only the first where nothing had changed. Gathering himself, he spoke to Councilor Agron.

“I lost another two destroyers and a heavy cruiser in our latest engagement with the Terran fleet. Admiral Pearson is learning.”

“Yes, you said as much in your report,” Agron responded calmly.

“That was four hundred fifty-one souls,” Nagao stated flatly. “Many of them very young.”

Agron’s lips tightened into a thin line. After a few heartbeats, he spoke. “These losses are well within the calculated limits of the plan. Fleet Admiral Pearson must not suspect that we are sacrificing our own ships to bait the trap.”

“Yes, I know,” said Nagao. He sighed and stood up. Walking to one of the statues, he marveled at the detail of the sculpture. “The Valdi are making test runs along the hyperspace lanes. They will be ready to invade soon.”

Councilor Hyatt spoke up. “The Valdi analysis has been tuned based on their rate of starship construction and the speed at which they have absorbed the new technology. There is a seventy-nine point four percent probability that invasion will occur within four months.”

“And I am to continue this farce of a war until that time?” Nagao asked rhetorically. Of course he knew the answer. He had been part of the original planning.

“Of more importance is our continuing to refine the plan with respect to the emperor. He must not suspect that we are guiding the pieces on the board. His megalomania is off the card, but our calculations must account for his ingenuity.”

“There is an eighty-four percent probability that he will respond to the Valdi threat by recovering all of his fleets to defend Earth. There is a ninety point zero seven percent chance that the duke will betray him when the invasion reaches stage two, there--”

“Yes, I know the numbers,” the admiral spat. “But I cannot con­tinue to throw lives away for no gain at all.”

Councilor Agron stood and walked over to the statue that had held the admiral’s attention. It was a statue of a young female warrior with only a dagger in her hand. She was recoiling from something, perhaps an animal or another warrior. Agron stopped beside Nagao and looked at the statue.

“When the invasion reaches stage four, Captain Traci Ganner will be the key. Nothing must happen to her.”

“How can you be so sure?” Admiral Nagao whispered. “She is just one Terran officer.”

“Because the analysis is accurate. We had to sacrifice two good operatives to the emperor in order to prevent him from suspecting what we are doing. Also, the personality profile of Fleet Admiral Pearson makes it imperative that he be the one left standing when this is over. And she will have become the perfect opponent for him.”

“There are other officers that could have filled the role more easily. She was a cruiser commander, for God’s sake.”

“Yes, but her will, determination, and analysis capabilities make her the perfect choice. You will find her a most formidable combatant when the time comes, especially when they discover what she has done.”

“More importantly, she must be kept safe until stage four. Whatever it takes, Admiral,” Councilor Schlein remarked.

“I know,” Nagao conceded. “I will do what is required.”

Agron placed his hand on the admiral’s shoulder. “Of course.”