Chapter 4

Kinara's P.O.V

I heard male voices talking as I awoke. I felt soft pillows behind my head and a duvet pulled up to my chest; hearing a voice I recognized as Caleb's, I slowly opened my eyes, allowing them to adjust to the light. Daylight streamed through the windows high up on the wall of the cabin. My head pounded and I felt sticky blood on the side of my head, matted into my hair. I sat up and was shocked to see about 10 guys all on their bunks. I felt panic curl inside my stomach and backed up against the headboard before Caleb said, "It's okay. These are our cabin-mates, don't worry, they won't hurt you." he smiled softly. I nodded, still a little anxious. "We have to explain about what is happening tonight. It's not fair that you won't have trained, heck, it's unfair you're here, but we can't change that..."

"What is this place?" I asked, cutting in, stopping his rambling. I appreciated that it came from a good place, but all it did was increase my feeling of helplessness.

"This is a camp where teenagers are taken to. They do something to our brains, alter with it so we don't remember our previous lives. Just general knowledge and first names. We all just woke up here surrounded by guards, same as you. Once every two weeks, we fight. None of us get killed or anything, but it's bad and painful, I'm not going to sugar-coat it for you, that won't do you any good. 

We fight in teams, of our bunks, there are 10 bunks. We start on a field in 2 long trenches. The first 5 bunks are on the same team at that point, only when they separate do they fight each other. Although obviously alliances are formed. Anyway, we're given these guns, on impact, the darts cause the pain of actually being shot, or so we're told.  After 30 seconds, the pain wears off, and the drug is administered. You pass out for 30 minutes.

 Everyone is given 15 darts to start with, but all over the area, there are stores of food, water, darts, rope, wood, whatever you might need. You are left out there for a week at the most, or until all the people on the opposing teams have been shot 10 times each.

 It lasts longer than you might think. That's 110 kids, so that's 1100 shots and 1650 darts initially, not including us. But people from the other teams knock them down too. When you 'die' 10 times, you get taken back to the camp and you wait for your bunk-mates to return or win." Caleb paused and another guy spoke, " basically, the fight begins tonight. We'll look after you, we promise. I'm Jerry, by the way." he smiled. I nodded and managed a small smile. I was going to be in so much pain later. I could already tell.

"I don't think I've ever fired a gun before though. I doubt I can shoot straight, let alone at a moving target. I can't do this!" I cried out.

"We'll look after you, okay? You're one of us." Caleb said. 

I smiled shyly, "Thank you."

I was introduced to the other guys and then we left, going back into the giant hall and got some food. We sat down at our designated table and I asked Caleb, "There's no fence, why doesn't everyone just leave using supplies from the battle?" Although I was fairly positive I already knew the answer.

"The weather is bitter all year around. If you left, you'd die of hypothermia or something else within a few days, even with the protective clothing they give us. Plus there's no-where around here to go to. We're the only place for miles and miles." he said sadly.

"Oh. How long have you been here?" I asked him. He looked annoyed.

"3 years." he said quietly.

"Sorry, did I say something wrong? I didn't mean to upset you." I quizzed softly. He glanced at me, a look of shock on his face and shook his head. "God, no, it's not you; Half the guys in here are staring at you like you're a meal." he tutted, scowling. I looked around, he was right. I glared at them and they turned away. All except Ivan, who outright stared, I shook in anger thinking about how much I already hated the boy.

Caleb noticed my rage and put his hand gently on mine to stop them trembling. "It's okay, I won't let him touch you," he said. I nodded, somewhat reassured.

After eating, our cabin was told, via loud speaker, to go to office C, Caleb explained to me that that was where we got prepared to go out to the trenches. He led me to office C, which was a large white room with racks of guns, clothes, boots and various other equipment. One of the guards gave me some clothes and boots and I went behind a screen to get changed. The trousers were thick and brown. The boots, army-style and black, a button-up black shirt and a thick woolly-inside, jacket with thermals beneath everything. The outfit was heavy but surprisingly silent as I moved. I was given a hairband I tied my hair back into a long plait over my shoulder walking out to see the other cabin-mates dressed similarly to I was. Caleb put his arm around me, seeing how nervous I was and he whispered. "Don't worry, you've got this." I nodded my thanks, extremely grateful for the encouragement.

A voice boomed over the loudspeaker, "Everyone report to the trenches immediately."